Video Tutorials for DipTrace 2.2

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

Video Tutorials for DipTrace 2.2

#1 Post by novarm44 » 15 Oct 2011, 09:00

I'm making video tutorials for DipTrace 2.2 and uploading them to YouTube. These are not official tutorials (they will have better quality and native English voice), but they will help you to learn DipTrace more in-depth.

1. First is making components and library management (the most critical learning questions at the moment):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cgOG3ieh7U

2. The second is auto-routing 8-layer board (4 signal layers and 4 power planes). The video includes layer/net-classes/via-styles setup, using fanout feature for BGAs before auto-routing and design verification with manual corrections after auto-routing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahUhpnCI8Xk

I will add more in the future - please let me know what tutorials you want to see here.

electronics-engineer

Re: Video Tutorials for DipTrace 2.2

#2 Post by electronics-engineer » 17 Oct 2011, 13:57

Excellent! I have no problem understanding the English, but it might be somewhat better with less Bass and more Treble.
novarm44 wrote:please let me know what tutorials you want to see here.
I would like to see a tutorial on how to archive a finished design in such a way that I can go back to it years later even if DipTrace has been through several version changes. This should include saving a parts library that has only the parts that are used in the design (future versions may change those parts slightly) whether to archive the current version of DipTrace itself, whether to make a DipTrace ASCII export, whether to save a netlist and what format to save it in, which layers to select / combine when saving Gerber/Excellon files - basically a tutorial on doing a good job of archiving a project.

Pradip

#3 Post by Pradip » 09 Jan 2013, 20:35

I believe, most important thing about Dip-Trace is simplicity to use it, with easy and intuitive UI screens. So, you may proceed to upload such video on YouTube but I believe it is going to be more about marketing of the product. It is already there in your tutorial link.

However, I would request you to add video about how to make 3D models along with the components. This is a real challenging area. As you can make component looking at or using the existing components , but associating their equivalent 3D models (making them) in not there at all. Whereas, to make an effective pcb, so the schematic, it is equally important feature or tutorial to have. This will also helps to use component models more effectively and another true value to have by an EDA.

Thanks,
Last edited by Pradip on 14 Jan 2013, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
PK

Pradip

#4 Post by Pradip » 09 Jan 2013, 20:35

I believe, most important thing about Dip-Trace is simplicity to use it, with easy and intuitiveness UI screens. So, you may proceed to upload such video on YouTube but I believe it is going to be more about marketing of the product. It is already there in your tutorial link.

However, I would request you to add video about how to make 3D models along with the components. This is a real challenging area. As you can make component looking at or using the existing components , but associating their equivalent 3D models (making them) in not there at all. Whereas, to make an effective pcb, so the schematic, it is equally important feature or tutorial to have. This will also helps to use component models more effectively and another true value to have by an EDA.

Thanks,
PK

davenz

#5 Post by davenz » 19 Apr 2015, 16:50

Pradip wrote:I believe, most important thing about Dip-Trace is simplicity to use it, with easy and intuitiveness UI screens. So, you may proceed to upload such video on YouTube but I believe it is going to be more about marketing of the product. It is already there in your tutorial link.

Thanks,
DipTrace is a CAD program, not a 3D program. You can download and install Wings 3D, which is freeware and there are plenty of Wings3D tutorials about on the web. It is easy enough to either make your own models in that or better still, download any of the great models already created and made available by users of other software (just search Google for 3D models for electronics) and tie them to components you make in DipTrace.

I don't know who made the 3D models in Diptrace but there are plenty of others around. A quick Google reveals many .wrl format 3D models; (check out some of the libraries made for KiCad or other CAD programs) and many are in the correct format or can be easily converted using Wings 3D or other freeware tools found on the web into a format DipTrace can understand.

Hope this helps.
--
All the best,

Dave.

SiliconGhost

#6 Post by SiliconGhost » 26 Apr 2015, 17:57

Someone else on this forum (I think) mentioned www.3dcontentcentral.com. Registration is free and there are tons of models. Download in STEP format for best rendering in the current version of DipTrace.

jean_howard

#8 Post by jean_howard » 08 Nov 2015, 22:08

novarm44 wrote:I'm making video tutorials for DipTrace 2.2 and uploading them to YouTube. These are not official tutorials (they will have better quality and native English voice), but they will help you to learn DipTrace more in-depth.

1. First is making components and library management (the most critical learning questions at the moment):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cgOG3ieh7U

2. The second is auto-routing 8-layer board (4 signal layers and 4 power planes). The video includes layer/net-classes/via-styles setup, using fanout feature for BGAs before auto-routing and design verification with manual corrections after auto-routing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahUhpnCI8Xk

I will add more in the future - please let me know what tutorials you want to see here.
Good videos!

jay_rogers

#9 Post by jay_rogers » 08 Nov 2015, 22:28

It is really easy. But videos are making it more easy and knowledgeable.

Molly

#10 Post by Molly » 29 Jan 2016, 01:09

Nice video tutorial. Thanks for sharing this here. This can be helpful to many people.