Error while copying components from one sheet to another

Post your STEP, IGES and VRML models here
pradipkhare

Error while copying components from one sheet to another

#1 Post by pradipkhare » 04 Feb 2015, 14:13

Hi Alex,

I moved certain components with the connected nets from one sheet to another, found that components getting moved but having an issue that connects nets disappeared for those components and not allowing to connect them. Also, only GND net seems to shown connected but when I tried to move it around, behaving unexpectedly.

Am I missing something here or its a bug? Please see the attached document for more details.

I am using the latest version of DipTrace in Win 8.1 64 Bits with proper setting. I am not getting any other error or issue but this one only.
Attachments
GND net only left connected but going weired in direction
GND net only left connected but going weired in direction
Img3.jpg (32.85 KiB) Viewed 691 times
components moved but nets disappreared
components moved but nets disappreared
Img2.jpg (33.61 KiB) Viewed 691 times
components of the sheet to be moved
components of the sheet to be moved
Img1.jpg (36.2 KiB) Viewed 691 times

KerKerz

Re: Error while copying components from one sheet to another

#2 Post by KerKerz » 05 Feb 2015, 04:13

Were you able to solve it I'm also having same problem.
Kerri

pradipkhare

#3 Post by pradipkhare » 08 Feb 2015, 20:41

No, not yet Kerri. For me it seems a defect.

mtripoli
Expert

#4 Post by mtripoli » 09 Feb 2015, 06:51

You have to follow a strict process for copy/pasting from one design to another (I assume from your post this is what you are doing).

First, the component designators MUST NOT CHANGE from one design to another. So, when you make the new schematic, copy the block from the old design to the new design and DO NOT CHANGE the designators (do not update the part numbers). Create your new design and PCB. DO NOT read in the netlist yet (i.e. Renew design from schematic). Instead, with your new board started, copy and paste the block from the PCB you want FIRST. Once you have that placed, then RENEW the design. All the new components will be loaded and the block you have already will stay intact. The whole point is that the designations between designs where you have copied and pasted must remain intact, otherwise it rips the block apart. It's clunky and not intelligently handled, but it can be done.

pradipkhare

#5 Post by pradipkhare » 11 Feb 2015, 10:24

Hi mtripoli,

Thanks for your response. However, you are understanding is different than my problem. I am copying component from one sheet to another in the same design and in the same project and not in a hierarchical block but finding this issue.

Take an example, I have a mini circuit of 5V Regulator (i.e. standard LM7805) and I need same in another sheet of same design so that regulator can handle load better. Now I am copying this mini circuit from on sheet to another just to duplicate. This is not a problem where NetPort are not used. But is a problem when NetPort (like 5V, GND, +12V etc.) are used.

I can create a same new circuit again, then what is the use of Copy & Paste. This is also required from consistency perspective.

Do you have any solution please?

mtripoli
Expert

#6 Post by mtripoli » 11 Feb 2015, 15:17

I think I get it... When you copy the block you do NOT want the same net name for two different "+5V"? One thing I will suggest; give "Netports" net names yourself. I don't like the way nets are handled in DP so when it comes to power and ground I select the net and give it a name that makes sense (like "+5V_A" "+5V_D", or something). It makes things a bit more readable.

pradipkhare

#7 Post by pradipkhare » 11 Feb 2015, 16:21

Thanks mtripoli for your response. I am also assigning names to Netport manually but still this problem.

I am surprise this time getting no response from Dip Trace support team. Earlier they never used to be late in responding. Don't know what's going at their end, as we all are guessing.

Alex
Technical Support

#8 Post by Alex » 11 Feb 2015, 21:32

1. How did you move components from one sheet to another? I mean using cut and paste or using "Change Sheet" function?
2. How about hierarchy? Do source and destination sheets have same level of hierarchy?
3. It seems, pins are still connected but connection lines are not visible. This is visual defect. Try to change graphics mode in Schematic to refresh it.
pradipkhare wrote:I am surprise this time getting no response from Dip Trace support team. Earlier they never used to be late in responding. Don't know what's going at their end, as we all are guessing.
I seldom read this forum branch, it's created to share 3D models. Will do it more often.

pradipkhare

#9 Post by pradipkhare » 18 Feb 2015, 06:49

Hi Alex,

Thank for your response. I am also sorry for posting my query in the wrong forum.

Yes, your suggestion using the option "Change Sheet" worked without any error. Thanks.

addseo1115

#10 Post by addseo1115 » 16 Jun 2015, 20:21

Thanks for sharing your info.
I have enjoyed with your posts.
Glad to be member here.