Post subject: Re: DipTrace 2.4 beta
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2014, 05:42 

novarm44 wrote:
Quote:
There is no more search possible.
In Component and Pattern editor the search dialog appears as normal.

Filter has the same functionality as search (just select apply filter to library group or all libraries).
Actually search feature in component and pattern editors is just a bit different UI to the same filter object. Filter itself is not applied in library editors as it displays content from different libraries in main component list and editing/saving library in such conditions may make a mess.

Old search dialog box we can terminate search if see needed component name in the search result list. This may take as short as several second some time. Because it put componenenets to result list when find it.
But 2.4 filter function: we can not terminate search. We have to wait to finish search. And results list creats after the search ends. I tried search "led" in componenet group in schematic. It took 30-60 second. And found 10 components.
I think on filter dialog box should has stop search function, and should create search result list while serach is running. So if i see component name in list i can stop search.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2014, 06:41 
Expert

novarm44 wrote:
Quote:
Filter has the same functionality as search (just select apply filter to library group or all libraries).
Actually search feature in component and pattern editors is just a bit different UI to the same filter object. Filter itself is not applied in library editors as it displays content from different libraries in main component list and editing/saving library in such conditions may make a mess.

OK, I get it. This is (in Schematic and PCB) more a components toolbar filter than a classic find dialog, because the search results appears in the toolbar itself. So far so good. There are some disadvantages. This filter behaves like a modal dialog. It takes a lot of time during search, so the windows 7 OS throws always a "no response" message. The search should have to run in its own thread and successively fill the components list.

What is the meaning of the line with the gray read only edit field "Search for: Components"?
Seems somehow to be redundant or useless. But please read on.

The search is not as smart as it could be. What parameter should I use if I like to search for all BCxxx transistors? There are transistors in the Semiconductor libraries and in the transistors lib. The search results in displaying all components with the string "BC" in the name, like AD9251BCPZ-20 etc. Or consider you like to search for all OpAmps with a specific pattern. Here comes the "Search for: Components" into play.

Wouldn't it be great to search for "Transistors", "OpAmps", "LEDs", "Diodes" and so on in combination with the text filter parameters (names, patterns, ..)?

This would make the search even faster. Theres is no need to search for a transistor name string in the (diptrace) diodes library or in components which are not transistors. But there for the components needs to be smart. They need to know what they are (a transistor, a diode, a led and so on).

At the moment it's even impossible to search only for components with a TO-3 pattern. I get 762 hits and many of them aren't to-3 pattern.

Please think about improving the search, at least a thread-based search.

Thanks for your answer.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2014, 07:54 

novarm44 wrote:
This is standard Windows 7 color scheme - if you see dialog boxes in Windows, they have the same white color for page tabs. We can change that though if many people don't like it.

Is it possible to create a poll about this in forum?

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2014, 08:57 
Expert

novarm44 wrote:
This is standard Windows 7 color scheme - if you see dialog boxes in Windows, they have the same white color for page tabs. We can change that though if many people don't like it.

;-)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2014, 04:30 
Technical Support

It looks like you just changed standard windows settings for page tabs.

We decided to keep all as is at the moment and release 2.4, as changing it may delay release again and again.
Then we plan to add categories, improve search feature and make minor 2.4.1 upgrade (I suppose within summer) - we will discuss here how to improve filter or change it.