Post subject: Copper Pour handling of non-circular pads
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 09:50 

I first want to say that I am very impressed with your product, I have been in this field for decades but never used a schematic capture / PCB design program due to cost to my employers. I was able to get through the learning curve very quickly, design custom components and a dense 4 layer board in days! Well done !

I did notice that when I do a copper pour around non-circular pads the algorithm appears to use the smaller diameter of an oval pad or the width of a square pad to determine the spacing around an-unconnected pad. So if I have a oval pad which is .075 x 0.100 with a specified spacing of .02, the copper pour creates the circular opening in the pour of 0.115 inside diameter, (.02 + .075 + .02). The opening is not an oval shape but circular. This also happens with square pads, the pour creates a round opening around the square pad, thereby violating the spacing required at the corners.

Sincerely,

Larry Affelt

Post subject: Re: Copper Pour handling of non-circular pads
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 15:06 

I can't duplicate what I think you are saying. I have some elliptical and oval pads. The pour around those appeares to follow the contours. Pours around square pads are square. I suggest that you reduce pour "line width" down to 0.008 or so, and see if the pour then looks better to you.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 15:18 

Ah, I'll try that

I was using whatever the default settings were.

Thanks for the tip!

Larry

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2010, 06:53 
Technical Support

Opening shouldn't depend on the pad shape. Got oval pad 0.075 x 0.1 oval pad and gap=0.02, the opening should be 0.115x0.14 oval not depending on line width in copper pour settings. The same with rectangular pads. If you get different result, please send the file to our support for verification.