Post subject: Polygon pad flipping between Pattern Editor and PCB Layout
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 10:58 

Used Pattern Editor with polygon pads. Looks fine in Pattern Editor, Component Editor, and Schematic. But when it is in the PCB Layout the Polygons flip the wrong direction on two opposite sided.

How to repeat:
I drew a square part in Pattern Editor with polygon pads. I drew one polygon shape, it is round on one end. Set this as the default pad. The round part has to face toward the inside on all four sides of the chip. So I made a standard pad the polygon then used the standard square pattern to layout the pads. On two adjacent sides the pads were facing the wrong way (out not in), so I flipped them. All looks good till the PCB editor. The PCB editor is flipping the two opposite side pads the wrong way. Not the adjacent sides, which would be a more likely failure (at least in my mind).

Work around (??? I think this works)
I flipped the pads the wrong way in Pattern Editor. Then they show up right in PCB Layout.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Polygon pad flipping between Pattern Editor and PCB Layo
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 13:45 

Did yoo check the gerbers to see which way it is? Hopefully the gerbers are exactly like the PCB program. Would suck if the gerber and the Pattern Editor orientations match.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 17:22 

Good point, falingtrea

So I took a version that looked correct in the PCB tool and checked the gerber in the preview. Then I exported it a file. I then used a third party Gereber viewer to view it. It checked out correct in both cases. So if it is right in the PCB tool it comes out right in the gerber.

Attached is the gerber output

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2010, 14:52 
Technical Support

Seems we fixed this some time ago.
I have tried to make pattern with 4 assymetric polygonal pads (rotated to all angles) and place it into PCB Layout. Seems pads are similar in Pattern Editor and PCB. Could you please check your version of software (see Help/About), then if it is not 2.1.0.7 - try to download the latest one and see how it works in it. If version is the latest one, please attach library with that pattern to forum message or send to support[at]diptrace[dot]com - I will check it.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2010, 08:25 

novarm44,

I am using the 2.1.0.7. I updated before I began this design. So the original pattern and layout were all started in 2.1.0.7.

Also to take these pics I went back and forth changing the orientation in pattern editor and then updating it in parts editor, schematic and then PCB. It is very repeatable.

Tim

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 16:09 
Technical Support

I have tried this in Pattern Editor and PCB Layout and when you select assymetrical polygonal pad and some template - template doesn't place pads of right and bottom rows correctly. But then when place to PCB Layout, it is the same as in Pattern Editor. And to get correct result, you should rotate pads in Pattern Editor to get correct pattern there. I.e. in my case pattern is not different in PCB Layout and Pattern Editor (but template feature works incorrectly) - tried several times and get the same result. Could you please attach the library file to message for verification.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 23:00 

I just modified the point to be what I wanted in the default pad properties. And next made a type square. Then rotated them when they were wrong direction.

Attached is the lib device. The pads are wrong in this lib, but come out correct in the PCB layout.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2010, 01:37 
Technical Support

I have tried to place this component in PCB Layout and 2 rows are placed incorrectly - in the same way as in Pattern Editor (no difference between PCB Layout and Pattern Editor). I tried this with 2.1.0.7

I have tried to just place pattern first and the way you described: "Pattern>Component>Schematic>PCB" too - got the same result.