Post subject: Version 2.3.5.2 Copper pour errors
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2017, 05:49 

Version 2.3.5.2
Copper pours.
I sent a pcb Gerber file to China for some prototype boards to be made.
The company PCBWAY,,, stated that some of my pads and tracks were not connected to the copper pour.
Please see the attached screen shots.
I tried manually to cover the breaks with thin tracks....... but they state there is still a problem.

I have just upgraded my V2 to 1000 points so I cannot see me buying Version 3

Please advise.

Regards
Wendy

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Version 2.3.5.2 Copper pour errors
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2017, 07:04 
Expert

1) Hover your mouse over the outline of one of the copper pours in question to see what Net it is connected to.
2) Hover your mouse over one of the pads that looks to be touching that copper pour to see what Net it is connected to.
If the Nets are different, the copper pour will not connect.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 08:27 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh..................... Now I see........... Thanks Tom.... Bien Bien...

-- 11 Jun 2017, 13:59 --

Sorry to bother you further... but with SMD components or Through holes.. there is an apparent non connection.. see attached photos.
When I place the pointer above a SMD component and right click... it says I can "add to net"..If the net was "un named" I could connect with the pointer.. but when I do this nothing happens.
When I generate a copper pour......... I guess I must always name it.

Regards
Wendy

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 11:45 
Expert

I have found that using the "Select by Mouse Pointer" option doesn't work when trying to connect with copper pours. You will have to assign the copper pour to the desired Net by list. Judging from the type of questions you're asking, am I correct in assuming that there is no related schematic for this board? If that is the case, and the desired Net doesn't yet exist for the copper pour, here is what you will have to do...
1) Make sure to have at least two Static Vias and/or pads that will eventually belong to the same Net as the copper pour.
2) Connect the Static Vias and/or pads to each other using the Place Ratline tool. This will automatically assign them to a common Net which you can then rename if you like.
3) Right-click on the outline of the copper pour and select Properties... in the pop-up menu.
4) In the Copper Pour Properties dialog window click on the [Connectivity] tab.
5) The new Net should now be available in the Connect to Net: drop-down list. Choose that Net and select OK.
6) Make sure to update all of the copper pours after making changes.

If the problem persists, and it's okay with you, feel free to post your DipTrace PCB file (*.dip) here and I'll try to find out what's going on.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 05:35 

Hi Tom. I use a different schematic software.. and always generate pcb's "on the fly".
I will try your suggestions and let you know in the next few days
Wendy

-- 16 Jun 2017, 15:17 --

Your suggestions work very well Tom.... Thanks........
However......Up to now..... I have not had need to name any tracks or Copper fills.... I was VERY Lazy.... as these boards were for home making only
But I now need a pcb made "out" ... and that is where my problems start
If a track has been given a Net name..... how do I change that Net name please ??
Or has it got to be deleted.... and a new track generated with a new net name ??
Regards
Wendy