Post subject: PCB Layout - DXF to pad bug
PostPosted: 26 May 2017, 12:38 
Expert

Importing a DXF file into the PCB Layout editor yields mixed results depending on the import settings used. In the examples below, when attempting to import a polygon as a pad using what I believe to be the proper settings, it does not work. After running a few experiments I am led to believe that the Diptrace PCB Layout editor's DXF translator behaves in an inconsistent manner. It is able to determine the proper shape and size of the polygon, but appears to incorrectly process the drawing object when trying to convert it into a pad.

In Setup 1 DipTrace recognizes the size and shape of the imported polygon, imports it and produces a filled object with the same size and shape (Convert to: Top). In Setup 2 it recognizes the size and shape of the imported polygon, but fails to properly convert it into a pad. In Setup 3 it recognizes the size and shape of the polygon and imports it (Convert to: Top), exports the polygon to a DipTrace-created DXF file, imports the DipTrace-created DXF file and produces a pad with the same size and shape. However, the pad number is not displayed (View > Pad Numbers > Show). I have included the two DXF test files; one created using Autodesk Fusion 360 (provided by user "brady" in this thread - http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=11595) named "F360.dxf" and the other created using Geomagic Design with a similar polygon figure named "GMD.dxf". These files can be found in the zip folder named "test files.zip" below...

Setup 1
Clear the Design Area and import the DXF file using the following settings...
* DXF Units: Millimeters
* Import Mode: Add
* Convert Blocks: None
* Convert to: Top
* [X]Fill closed areas

Result 1
DXF file created in Autodesk Fusion 360: Pass (figure 1a)
DXF file created in Geomagic Design: Pass (figure 1b)

Setup 2
* Convert to: Pads

Result 2
DXF file created in Autodesk Fusion 360: Fail (figure 2a)
DXF file created in Geomagic Design: Fail (figure 2b)

Setup 3
* Convert to: Top
Export the object to a new DXF file using the following settings...
* Layers: Top
* Units: mm
* [X]Use Design Origin
Clear the Design Area and import the new DXF file using the following settings...
* Convert to: Pads

Result 3
DXF file originally created with Autodesk Fusion 360: Pass - but the pad number is not displayed (figure 3a)
DXF file originally created with Geomagic Design: Pass - but the pad number is not displayed (figure 3b)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: PCB Layout - DXF to pad bug
PostPosted: 27 May 2017, 09:26 

Are you using PCB Layout? My problem was using PCB Layout, Tomg pointed out that brain fart and that I needed to use the Pattern Editor NOT PCB Layout. Pattern Editor works great! I create a new library, import the dxf you created as NEW then right clicked to make it a pad. I checked the size and found this was 17.79mm, my CR2032 is 17.8mm, no big, but mine has two solder tabs to hold the holder down http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/238/bat-hld-001-220194.pdf ($0.29 each at Mouser)
Pad number not displayed? View/Pad Numbers then Check Show with Pattern Editor.

PostPosted: 27 May 2017, 10:28 
Expert

I'm just trying to make sure they know about the problem in the PCB Layout editor. View > Pad Numbers > Show is enabled, but that doesn't work for pads imported into the PCB Layout editor. Since an import tool has been provided in the PCB Layout editor with options to convert objects into pads, one might be inclined to think that it should actually perform the implied action. I realize what follows may be an unpopular sentiment, but they need to iron out the basics before adding more features.

PostPosted: 28 May 2017, 11:30 

I didn't notice you had posted Tomg but now I think I get it.
With the original dxf I created a new library with one pad then started a new PCB and added that pad to the PCB:

In Pattern Editor the pad number shows but when you use the pad for PCB layout it will not show.

PostPosted: 28 May 2017, 13:00 
Expert

Hi Kevin,
I think I just discovered the reason why the pad does not display a pad number in the PCB Layout editor. The developers probably feel that displaying the pad number is not necessary when there is only one pad. Maybe it was easier to set it up this way because having Static Vias (basically lone through-hole pads) or lone surface mount pads (test points, etc) with numbers would be useless. If there are at least two pads in a component, then the pad numbers will be displayed in the PCB Layout editor as they would now be useful for identifying connections. This can be confirmed by creating a pattern with only one pad and dropping it into the PCB layout. The pad number will not be displayed. If you create a pattern with two pads and drop that into the PCB layout, both pad numbers will appear. The same goes for creating one pad in the PCB Layout editor - no pad number is displayed. Create a second pad in the PCB Layout editor and change its pad number to "2". Still no pad numbers will be displayed as they are not part of the same component. But now group those two new pads into a component and watch both pad numbers appear to serve a useful purpose.