Post subject: mystery DRC error
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 09:01 
Expert

Converting a Static Via to a Trace Via causes a mystery DRC error indicator to appear. The error indicator remains until the DRC is manually re-run, and this is with Real-time DRC enabled. (Make sure [X]Check Sizes is enabled in the Design Rules dialog window.)

Experiment #1 - starting with Static Vias
1) Launch the PCB Layout editor, create a Board Outline for a basic 2-layer PCB and make sure [X]Real-time DRC is enabled (or use the attached file named "DRC_Static.dip" and skip to step 6).
2) Place two resistors and two Static Vias on the PCB.
3) Route one pad of R1 to Static Via #1 on the Top side of the PCB.
4) Route Static Via #1 to Static Via #2 on the Bottom side of the PCB.
5) Route Static Via #2 to one pad of R2 on the Top side of the PCB.
6) Right-click on Static Via #1, select Convert to Trace Via in the pop-up menu and choose Current Via in the fly-out menu.
7) Observe that via #1, now a Trace Via, is surrounded by a DRC error indicator even though Real-time DRC is enabled.
8) Observe that the error indicator remains until the Design Rule Check is manually re-run.

Experiment #2 - starting with Static Vias
1) Repeat steps 1 through 5 above (or use the attached file named "DRC_Static.dip").
2) Right-click on Static Via #1, select Convert to Trace Via in the pop-up menu and choose Current Via in the fly-out menu.
3) Observe that the via #1, now a Trace Via, is surrounded by a DRC error indicator even though Real-time DRC enabled.
4) Right-click on Static Via #2, select Convert to Trace Via and choose Current Via in the fly-out menu.
5) Observe that the via #2 is surrounded by a DRC error indicator and via #1 is now clear.
6) Observe that the error indicator remains until the Design Rule Check is manually re-run.

Experiment #3 - starting with Static Vias
1) Repeat steps 1 through 5 above (or use the attached file named "DRC_Static.dip").
2) Right-click one of the Static Vias, select Convert to Trace Via in the pop-up menu and choose All Vias in the fly-out menu.
3) Observe that both vias, now Trace Vias, are surrounded by DRC error indicators even though Real-time DRC enabled.
4) Observe that the error indicators remain until the Design Rule Check is manually re-run.

Experiment #4 - starting with Trace Vias
1) Launch the PCB Layout editor, create a Board Outline for a basic 2-layer PCB and make sure [X]Real-time DRC is enabled (or use the attached file named "DRC_Trace" and skip to step 6).
2) Place two resistors on the PCB.
3) Route a trace from one pad of R1 to an empty area a short distance away, anchor the trace with a left-click and change to the Bottom side of the PCB by using hotkey "B".
4) Continue routing the trace on the Bottom side of the PCB for a short distance, anchor the trace with a left-click and change back to the Top side of the PCB by using hotkey "T".
5) Continue routing the trace on the Top side of the PCB to one pad of R2.
6) Right-click on the first Trace Via, select Convert Via to Static in the pop-up menu and choose Current Via in the fly-out menu.
7) Observe that there are no DRC error indicators.
8) Right-click on the newly-created Static Via, select Convert to Trace via in the pop-up menu and choose Current Via in the fly-out menu.
9) Observe that there are no DRC error indicators.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Tomg on 23 Apr 2017, 06:13, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: mystery DRC error
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 15:51 
Expert

Tom,
I tried your 'experiment 1' and I'm not experiencing the same behavior as you have found... no red circles.
However, I'm using ver 3.0... not the beta version. I uninstalled it because of the library incompatibility.
Jeff

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 16:15 
Expert

Hi Jeff,
It exhibits the same behavior using v3.0.0.2. The trick is to start with Static Vias, then convert one to a Trace Via. Also, make sure [X]Check Sizes is enabled in the Design Rules dialog window. If you start with a Trace Via and convert it to a Static Via, when it is converted back to a Trace Via there is no DRC error indicator. I've attached an example PCB file named "DRC_v3.dip" created in v3.0.0.2. Let me know if you can duplicate the behavior by converting one of its Static Vias to a Trace Via.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 23:44 
Expert

That's odd... 'Check Sizes' was unchecked and I really don't know why... I'm sure I didn't intentionally change it since I never change my design rule settings. I have to wonder if there is any way that it could have been modified without me explicitly changing it? Maybe it defaulted to that when I updated to 3.0 and I missed it? dunno...

Once I checked that I could reproduce the problem (BTW, I don't believe that instruction was in your list... you may want to add it for others trying to duplicate this.).

Oh, one another thing, the colors of my PCB editor were different than I normally use when I was first trying to duplicate 'example 1'. The traces were pink and yellow... (I use blue and yellow... never use pink for anything). But this time when I opened the PCB editor the trace colors were back to my normal blue and yellow. Very, very strange.

I really can't explain why any of this this happened with the PCB editor. Now I have a mystery. ??

Well, anyway... interestingly, if I converted the first via to 'Trace' then next I checked 'Check Sizes' and then converted the second via to trace, it (the second via) would fail the online DRC (red ring on the second via). But then if I converted the first via back to a static via the second vias red ring would disappear without touching it. Looks like there must be something wrong with the online DRC.

You know, I don't normally use the online DRC so I wouldn't have ever noticed this to begin with.

Hmm...

I'm on 3.0.0.2

Jeff

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 07:39 
Technical Support

Thank you for the report about DRC indicator that appears after converting static to trace via. I can reproduce the issue and have added this to our bug tracker.