Post subject: Group rotate 'anomaly'
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2017, 17:26 
Expert

Alex (et.al.),

Could you please take a look at this and see what the problem is.

Both sets are grouped and rotated.

R17 - R20 have issues.

I've included the .dip file (it's at the top of the list)

thx
jeff

(BTW, The forum software loaded these attachments in reverse order... bottom to top... don't know why?)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Group rotate 'anomaly'
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2017, 07:09 
Expert

1) Select/highlight R21 thru R24, right-click on one of them (not its pads) and select Properties... in the pop-up menu.
2) In the Component Properties dialog window click on the [Markings] tab, in the Main Marking section set Justify: to Top and select OK.
3) Select/highlight R17 thru R24 and group them together (Ctrl + G).
4) Right-click on one of the newly-grouped resistors (not its pads) and select Properties... in the pop-up menu.
5) In the Component Properties dialog window click on the [Markings] tab, in the Main Marking section set Justify: to Default and select OK.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2017, 23:05 
Expert

Tom,

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Well, very peculiar... it looks like there may be more going on here that I first imagined.

I can't account for any changes to any 'Justify' settings for these components in either the Schematic or PCB editors. I've never changed those settings in Diptrace... ever.
I would assume that they just put each marking on the 'Top' or 'Bottom' layer but I don't know for sure... I've never checked that out.

So, anyway, I went back and looked at those settings for all of these resistors in the Schematic and all of them are set to 'Default'. None of them are set to 'Top' or 'Bottom'. I have no explanation for it but it seems that somehow, in the process of creating a PCB from the Schematic, those settings were 'magically' changed for those 4 parts.

So then, after verifying that all of the resistors 'Justify' markings were set to 'Default' in the schematic, I went to the PCB and did a 'Renew Layout From Schematic, By Components' to update the PCB thinking that it would correct the error... but, in fact, it did not. R17 - R20's Main Markings on the PCB are still set to 'Justify - Top' and the Additional Markings are set to 'Justify - Bottom'.

The schematic is correct and the PCB is not and I didn't change any of the 'Justify' settings in either the Schematic or the PCB... and updating the PCB via the a correct schematic does not 'fix' the issue.

Very strange... guess I'll create an additional PCB and see if it has the same issue. Also, I'll delete the resistors from the first PCB and update it to see what happens.

Jeff

-- 07 Feb 2017, 22:32 --

Tom,

So, after more testing... deleting the resistors and updating the PCB from the schematic cured the issue.

Apparently, those settings in the PCB take precedence over the schematic settings and updating the PCB does not reset them or tell you that the PCB and schematic don't match. (You know, I don't agree with that.. it should ask you much the same as 'The layout includes locked components... do you want to update them too?')

This is a perfect example of a disconnect between the schematic and PCB and one may never be aware of it.

I still have no idea how those 4 resistors came to have those marking / justify settings different from the schematic. I certainly had no reason to change them nor did I.

Even so, I don't see why you would expect the 'Default' marking set to 'Justify - Top' to act any differently when rotating a group than setting it to 'Justify - Default'. Do you know why this is?

Jeff

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2017, 06:50 
Expert

I wonder if this is related to the decision by the developers that the masks shall not be updated when using the Renew Layout from Schematic tool? An override of this behavior can only be accomplished by either replacing the component (as you have discovered) or by right-clicking on the component and selecting Update from Library. See this thread for a similarly confusing experience - http://diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10988&p=20107#p20107

I find this particular DipTrace behavior counter-intuitive at best and in my opinion should be handled in a different fashion as you have suggested; the program should at the very least warn the user about this.