Post subject: Pattern Editor - Duplicate Patterns
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2017, 16:27 
Expert

A recent poster was confused about how DipTrace handles adding new patterns to a library. Some of this confusion may have been caused by the way the Duplicate Patterns tool functions. When a pattern is duplicated the original pattern remains selected/highlighted, increasing the chance of the user accidentally working on the original instead of the copy. The Add/Insert New Pattern... tools automatically select/highlight the new pattern, decreasing the chance of accidentally modifying the wrong pattern. Of course several patterns can be duplicated at once, but if the Duplicate Patterns tool automatically selected/highlighted the first pattern in the list of new copies it might be more helpful. Is there a reason that the Duplicate Patterns tool behaves differently from the Add/Insert New Pattern... tools?

Post subject: Re: Pattern Editor - Duplicate Patterns
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2017, 10:44 

Duplicate Components in the Component Editor works the same way. I think a clue as to why they function as they do lies in the plural nature of the command. Both commands allow multiple items to be selected and duplicated in one action. Perhaps there's a use case to explain why it behaves that way. However, in more than two years of doing many boards in DipTrace, and creating hundreds of my own library parts, I've not had to duplicate more than one component or pattern in a single action.

Even though I'm aware of this issue, I've been bitten a few times (editing the existing component when I think I'm working on the copy) during the heat of battle. If DipTrace highlighted the duplicated component/pattern automatically it would eliminate some frustration and rework.