Post subject: PCB Layout large object rendering hangs
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2016, 07:31 

Hello,

I am using DipTrace 2.4.0.2, 500 pin license, with a large spiral pattern that is for a metal detector circuit. When I attempt to add that to my circuit in PCB Layout, I hit a severe performance problem. The part first takes a long time to load initially. Then, it goes non-responsive for long periods with the spinner active, effectively preventing me from doing anything with the user interface. After a while, the screen goes white and further screen refreshes do not happen. If I attempt to include two of the spiral parts to the circuit, the screen goes white from the beginning and never refreshes.

In the Pattern Editor and Component Editor, I have no problem with the large object.

I have a 4 core machine, and only one of the cores is busy when the spiral is loaded. I have several GB of remaining memory.

It appears that the screen redraw does not take into account complex objects so is simply redrawing everything in the redraw loop on each cycle which it cannot do with the large spiral objects.

I am wondering if someone with the latest 3.0 version of the software can test with the attached Component Library to determine whether the redraw performance is better in that version. Barring that, this is show stopper. I am wondering when a next version of the tool could be made available which addresses this.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: PCB Layout large object rendering hangs
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2016, 13:28 
Expert

I've got v3.0.0.2 on an older system: 3GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 RAM, AMD FirePro V4800, 1080p/60Hz monitor. Setting the Graphics Mode to either OpenGL or Direct3D will cause the PCB Layout editor to choke on all of those polylines. It will take forever to process and redraw, then it will tell me that PCB.exe is not responding. Setting the Graphics Mode to Windows GDI will allow placement of the spiral inductor, but it won't be redrawing at warp speed. I'm guessing that DipTrace utilizes only one core, too.

The following procedure is what worked on my "classic" system...
1) Change the Graphics Mode to Windows GDI.
2) Temporarily disable Real-time DRC to speed things up just a little. This isn't critical, though.
3) Select the spiral inductor in the library list, quickly move the mouse pointer to the drop point in the Design Area, left-click once and, while trying to avoid moving the mouse, press the [Esc] key to get out of the placement mode.
4) Wait for all of the redrawing to complete (roughly 1 second per redraw), drag a selection box around the component and nudge it into its final position using the arrow keys. Each move/zoom/pan is going to take the same amount of redraw time, so move/zoom/pan sparingly.

Good luck.

Post subject: Re: PCB Layout large object rendering hangs
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2016, 15:01 

Hi Tom,

Thanks a bunch. Changing the graphics mode worked just fine. I never even knew that was available.

For those with a similar problem, you can change the graphics mode as follows:

View->Graphics Mode->Windows GDI

Thanks,

Jason