Post subject: Pattern Editor - DXF origin ignored
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2016, 08:32 
Expert

When importing a DXF file into the PCB Layout Editor, the drawing origin is recognized by DipTrace and placed in the appropriate location. However, when importing that same DXF file into the Pattern Editor, the drawing origin is ignored and DipTrace centers the drawing around the (0,0) coordinate of the Design Area. This happens to DXF files exported from both Geomagic Design and QCAD. I have attached two sample DXF files (inside the compressed folder named "rectangles.zip"), each with the same drawing figure; a simple 4mm high x 6mm wide rectangle with the origin in the lower-left corner. The file named "GMD.dxf" was created in Geomagic Design. The file named "QCAD.dxf" was created in QCAD...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Pattern Editor - DXF origin ignored
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2016, 00:55 

I would think that having the zero point in the pattern editor at the center of the pattern would be a wanted behavior - if the zero point was at the bottom left how would a P&P know?

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2016, 06:48 
Expert

KevinA wrote:
I would think that having the zero point in the pattern editor at the center of the pattern would be a wanted behavior - if the zero point was at the bottom left how would a P&P know?
It is always a good thing to have Diptrace place an object where you want it and not produce some arbitrary result instead. If you need an object centered about the origin, then center it about the origin in the drawing's source file so that DipTrace will (should) do the same thing during the DXF import process. If you need an object offset from the origin, then do that in the drawing's source file so that Diptrace will (should) predictably do the same thing. Having control over your drawing objects is key.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2016, 10:27 
Technical Support

Thanks Tom, I confirm DXF import in Pattern editor ignores DXF origin. We will investigate this issue too.