Post subject: DXF Import (no spline) in 2.4.0.2 hangs
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2016, 15:58 

I had originally raised the ticket/bug report viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11284 "DXF Import in 2.4.0.2 Fails without any errors" and I was told that DXF containing splines was not supported. While this is unfortunate, the worse thing is that the tool generates no errors.

I subsequently figured out how to save the DXF without splines and paid someone to check if had splines. They indicated that the file did not contain a spline. When I attempted to import this new file, a worse problem occurred - no error is generated and the program hangs, becoming unresponsive and needing to be killed in the task manager.

The file cannot be provided for testing because the forum does not accept .dxf files.

Please let me know:

1) What options are available to create a custom trace such as a spiral? This is needed for the development of a metal detection circuit.

2) Can you add some error handling for the failures in DXF import?

3) Can you update the forum configuration to enable DXF files to be attached or let me know how such a file could be passed along to you?

Thanks,

Jason

Post subject: Re: DXF Import (no spline) in 2.4.0.2 hangs
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2016, 07:22 
Expert

I have attached a zip folder named "test_figures.zip" containing three DXF files. The DXF file named "spline.dxf" is an open ended spline. The DXF file named "polyline_open.dxf" is a crude spline shape made up of several straight lines that form an open figure. The DXF file named "polyline_closed.dxf" is another crude spline shape made up of several straight lines that form a closed figure. Try importing these into the Pattern Editor to see what happens. In DipTrace v3.0.0.2, the spline does not import, but the polyline figures do. It would help if you could show a screen shot of the settings you are using in the DXF Import dialog window. As you can see, it is possible to include DXF files in a post if you first place them in a zip folder. If you post your DXF file, I'll test it out in my version of DipTrace and take a look at it in my CAD program (Geomagic Design) to see if I can figure out what is going on.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2016, 12:29 

You need a program that can draw a 'spiral' as a polyline and then you can import it. There are programs designed to generate 'spiral' antenna systems and AutoDesk has LISP code for creating the same. Google is your friend "spiral antenna design calculator". I had no issues importing but your 'drawings' have something else is in them, I believe it is a reference to 0,0, at least it showed up at 0,0 in my CAD software.
FreeCAD is Python driven, you could visit the forum and see if you can get someone to convert this lisp script to python:

;This code draws an Archimedean Spiral
(defun c:spiral (/ seg ang cnt rad x y z point)
(setq seg 100)
(setq nn 0.6)
(setq AA 0.1)
(setq ang (/ (* 3 pi) seg))
(setq cnt 0)
(command "_pline")
(repeat (1+ seg)
(setq x (* AA (expt (* cnt ang) (/ 1 nn)) (cos (* cnt ang))))
(setq y (* AA (expt (* cnt ang) (/ 1 nn)) (sin (* cnt ang))))
(setq point (list x y))
(command point)
(setq cnt (1+ cnt))
)
(command "")
(princ)
(command "._zoom" "E")
)

Have fun!

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2016, 07:34 
Technical Support

Jason,
1) DipTrace doesn't have the feature to draw a spiral. You can use another programs as wrote KevinA.
2) We will add some handling for the failures in DXF import.
3) Our admin have added an option to attach DXF files to post.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2016, 00:00 

After much playing, I believe that the issue may be the size of my spiral. Since DipTrace isn't handling splines, creating a file based on small segments is probably creating something too large. Can anyone tell me the maximum DXF file size that is handled by the program?

I created the spline in SolidWorks so maybe if I can chop it up, I can import piecemeal as long as I know what size is possible for the import.

Thanks,

Jason

-- 23 Dec 2016, 23:57 --

After numerous tries, confirming that spline did not appear in the .DXF file and playing with different save attempts, I tried one more thing and it worked. Here it is for others who might have difficulties:

1) Save the file as a .DWG format. I saved from SolidWorks 2001Plus.
2) Download and install the Any DWG DXF Converter tool
3) Select the .DWG file in the converter tool
4) Select AutoCAD 10 as the output File Version
5) Select .DXF as the output type
6) Select the Convert Now button
7) Import the generated .DXF file in DipTrace.

I believe that the AutoCAD 10 format dumbs things down so with or without a spline the import is possible.

Cheers,

Jason