Post subject: DXF Import in 2.4.0.2 Fails without any errors
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2016, 18:33 

Hello,

I am on 2.4.0.2 and when I attempt to import a DXF file in the pattern editor, I get a blank screen on the Import DXF page without the drawing being shown and with no errors. The same file renders without error in several DXF viewers. I have also tried selecting numerous Convert to options as well as including Top Signal and Fill Closed Areas and importing, with no success. Nothing is imported and no errors are generated.

I tried attaching the file that I am trying to use in my pattern, a small part of spiral and is attached, but the forums don't accept that format. I can provide it on request.

Thanks,

Jason

Post subject: Re: DXF Import in 2.4.0.2 Fails without any errors
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2016, 08:42 
Expert

longtimer wrote:
"...I tried attaching the file that I am trying to use in my pattern, a small part of spiral and is attached, but the forums don't accept that format..."
Hi Jason,
I'm guessing the spiral might be a spline figure, which could be the root of the problem. I have read that PCB programs have difficulties accepting splines. If your CAD program has the capability, export your DXF file with the "export all splines as polylines" option enabled. If it doesn't have that option, try exporting in DXF format R12. This older format supposedly converts splines to polylines. Polylines tend to play nice with PCB programs. If that doesn't work, post a zip folder containing your DXF file and I'll see if it imports into DipTrace version 3.0.0.2. Zip folders are usually accepted by the forum software. If you are using Windows 10, right-click on the DXF file, choose "Send to" in the pop-up menu, select "Compressed (zipped) folder" in the fly-out menu, give the new zip folder a name and attach it to your post.

Good luck.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2016, 09:37 
Technical Support

DipTrace can't import splines from DXF files. We will add spline support in future versions because many users had problem with importing DXF files.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2016, 11:29 

Tom,

Thanks for the offer to assist. Much appreciated.

Alex,

Is it possible in the mean time, to generate a visible error for this scenario? The blank screens just added confusion and wasted time.

Thanks,

Jason

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2016, 07:59 
Technical Support

Thank you for the suggestion, Jason. That makes sense.