Post subject: 100% scale does not work properly
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2016, 21:00 

When I set View > Scale > 100% in PCB editor, I expect to see my PCB at 100%. Instead, it appears to be very small, almost like it rendered for 72 DPI screen. I however have 109 DPI monitor and font size is globally set to 109 DPI. I have to set 148% scale to get true 100% scale, which is not convenient. Since it appears like DipTrace ignores system DPI, and (unless I missed something) it lacks its own DPI setting for PCB Layout, I think this is a bug. It either should read system DPI setting or allow me set it manually, or both.

3D preview is nice and useful, but in it the problem is even worse: it seems to be impossible to see my PCB at 100% scale. There is no text field or drop-down list to set scale and there is no smooth zooming, and mouse wheel zooming is not precise enough. At very least button to reset to 100% would be very helpful.

There are multiple reasons why seeing 100% scale is important. It helps to estimate how convenient it would be to press buttons or use switches/jumpers with fingers, allows to quickly compare PCB size or its components to other things. There is another important use: quickly demonstrate changes to other people, when working on something together, especially when working on placement of buttons, ports, etc.

Post subject: Re: 100% scale does not work properly
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2016, 06:35 

May be need some plugin to use 100% scale.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2016, 16:18 

What plug-in? Do you even have any evidence that it is possible with current API to write a plug-in to workaround bugs I mentioned? If your answers are "don't know" then what's the point of your message?

Anyway, displaying things both in 2D and 3D at 100% scale is very basic thing, so I hope developers will notice this thread and consider fixing these issues at some point in the future. I suggest an option to set DPI manually, on first run of DipTrace set to OS DPI setting to provide reasonable default and then let user change it if necessary (because OS DPI setting often not accurate but it is better than hardcoded default). And 3D view really needs some button to reset to 100% scale, currently it is not just hard but impossible to achieve 100% scale in 3D view.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2016, 07:49 
Technical Support

100% scale in DipTrace is abstract value. It doesn't mean board has natural size. 100% is only reference size for zoom function.