Post subject: Windows 10 - Mouse drag seemingly "drops" components
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2016, 16:48 

I've noticed this with the latest 2.4 and also the 3.0 release. Using Windows 10 Professional x64 on a Dell Inspiron 17" laptop. Both trackpad and USB-attached mice seem affected by this.

When opening or creating a new PCB design, at first you can click & drag any component and move it around however you like - so long as the left mouse button is pressed, the component stays "stuck" to the mouse cursor and will move.

But after you create your first trace, clicking & dragging the component will only work for a short period of time--then despite the left mouse button remaining pressed and the mouse cursor moving around, the component gets "dropped" (at whatever location the mouse cursor was when the glitch occurs). This requires you move the mouse cursor back to the object, click & drag again, only to find the same thing happen. Deleting the trace doesn't seem to help--the "glitch" continues to happen. The amount of time between the initial click on the object and the moment when the glitch occurs--when the object stops moving as if you released the mouse button (but did not in fact physically release it) seems to vary at random.

I noticed this same thing occurs in the Schematic editor too.

If there's any question about what I'm talking about, I'll try to take a video of it.

Post subject: Re: Windows 10 - Mouse drag seemingly "drops" components
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2016, 09:14 
Technical Support

We will verify this issue on Windows 10. Thank you for the report. If you can capture screen video it may be useful for us. Thank you.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2016, 11:51 

Video using 2.4.0.2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QtpJ_9S-rw

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2016, 09:07 
Technical Support

Thank you for the video. But we are unable to reproduce the problem. It looks like right mouse click is pressed after holding left mouse button for few seconds.
Please make sure the computer doesn't have global hotkey manager or any other program that intersepts mouse command.
Could you try to do the same on different machine with Windows 10, if it is possible.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2016, 10:13 

Yeah I know Windows Explorer does have its hotkey feature, but I'm not sure how to "disable" that.
Intel HD Graphics had a hotkey feature enabled - I disabled that, but it didn't change the behavior.
Windows Settings had nothing obvious show up when I searched for "gestures". I disabled the trackpad for kicks, but no avail.

Is there any way to "debug" the application or get more detailed UI information that could point me in the right direction?

I'll also note one thing I discovered just now - when the program is acting up, and seems to be "dropping" items while dragging, if I wait a minute or 2 and try again it seems to resolve itself. Add a trace to the item though, and the problem recurs.

-- 13 Apr 2016, 10:16 --

Ah geez okay, I figured it out - I am running Synergy, which intercepts the mouse & keyboard for enabling redirection to other machines. Stopping Synergy made the problem go away.

I'll take this up with the Synergy team.
Sorry for the fire drill :)