Post subject: Grid when use mouse versus arrow keys
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2016, 10:24 

In PCB layout there is a difference in snapping to grid between:
- moving part with mouse (slips off grid)
- moving part with Arrow keys (stays on grid)

When I move with arrow keys everything stays on grid, but if I move with mouse components shift off grid, even after I manually set their coordinates onto the grid.

Is this a bug, or am I missing a setting?

DipTrace V3.0

Paul

Last edited by PaulNewf on 29 Mar 2016, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Grid when use mouse versus arrow keys
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2016, 10:59 
Expert

I can think of three things to check right off the bat...
1) If the grid is disabled, all bets are off.
2) Double-check to make sure the grid pitch is being displayed accurately. Sometimes the actual grid pitch cannot be displayed because of the zoom factor or other display/monitor properties. Zoom in to see if there is a finer grid pitch to be had.
3) Check the Snap to Grid setting on the component. By Pads typically uses pin #1 as the snap point. By Origin uses the component's origin as the snap point.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2016, 12:56 

3) This is it.
Is there a global setting for "Snap to grid by", or does it always default to "by pad pin1" ?

Related Issue:
- I also noticed that "View-Customize Grid" looses my customizations whenever I exit DipTrace - how to make them stay from session to session?

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2016, 13:37 
Expert

PaulNewf wrote:
"...Is there a global setting for "Snap to grid by", or does it always default to "by pad pin1" ?..."
There is no global setting. I submitted a feature request for one not too long ago (see http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10742 near the bottom), but nothing has come of it. As a work-around you can select all components, right-click on one of them and change the snap setting. As far as I know, that should affect all of the selected components.

PaulNewf wrote:
"...I also noticed that "View-Customize Grid" looses my customizations whenever I exit DipTrace - how to make them stay from session to session?...
The first time I tried adding more grid sizes to my normal eight entries, they were dropped after closing the program. The second time I added more than eight, they were retained. Strange. Maybe I forgot to click on the [OK] button in the pop-up menu? I don't know. I'll try doing this again later today to see what happens.

-- 30 Mar 2016, 08:41 --

View > Customize Grid... is still working as expected. It's possible that I mistakenly used View > Grid Size > Custom... the first time.