File blocked from changes

Report bugs here
mtripoli
Expert

File blocked from changes

#1 Post by mtripoli » 28 Jul 2014, 14:20

I'm not sure this is a Diptrace problem, however, it's the only program that is is exhibiting this issue. When I try to open a Diptrace file (schematic, PCB, doesn't matter which) I get a message as shown below. I thought this might have something to do with "ownership" of the folder/file but after taking ownership nothing changes. It appears that it get's "locked" from wherever it was last opened. In this instance, I was working on the schematic from my laptop. When I went to open it from my workstation I get this message. All design files are saved and opened to/from Dropbox. Has anyone any insight into this? Obviously, this is making it impossible to work on these designs. All my designs seem to be blocked in this way. Prior to 2.4 I was doing things exactly the same way as now and did not have this.

Thanks.

Alex
Technical Support

Re: File blocked from changes

#2 Post by Alex » 29 Jul 2014, 23:52

The message appears if the file has been opened by another user from different machine. It is not possible to open and edit the same library, schematic or board from two or more machines at the same time. Therefore you should either open copy of the file or close the file on different machine.

mtripoli
Expert

#3 Post by mtripoli » 11 Sep 2014, 04:56

This is what perplexed me so much when this happened. The other machines are off. One is at the office and turned off (I know for certain; I shut them down and am on work leave following some neck surgery), the other is my laptop at home, also off when I got the message. This is what perplexed me so much about these messages; I can completely understand if the machines were on and the files open, but if the program (Diptrace) has been shut-down properly, and the machine shut-down there should be no reason for this. In the meantime I copied the files from one directory to another and opened it from the new directory. This seemed to work (I was able to open the files and work on them) but isn't an answer. Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

-- 10 Sep 2014, 14:42 --

This issue is much bigger than I had originally posted. The new way in which libraries are handled is completely unintuitive, and blocking users from making changes to ANY library is ridiculous. I just tried to open my own custom library and got the same error that another machine is blocking it from changes. That machine is off and everything was closed on it before it was turned off. I'm now forced to make yet another library to get my work done.

I'm not sure what the priorities are at Novarm, but changing things that worked and are now broken, and ignoring things like preventing one from opening libraries is pretty fundamental. You guys may think that your user base is concerned with things like differential routing, but we're not. I'd be willing to bet users would be far happier with fixing the things that are used on a daily basis and not something that less than 1% of users might use. I paid for the 2000 pin version of this software and at the time thought it was going to get better. In a very short time it's getting worse. Can someone PLEASE ADDRESS THIS ISSUE and in the next version go back to the way libraries were handled and get rid of the multiple filter option nonsense.

alexander_nxn

#4 Post by alexander_nxn » 14 Oct 2014, 08:41

Please check the dirrectory with your libraries and find the 'access capture file'
For example:
for techwell.eli
access capture file
~techwell.eli~ (in my case)

This hidden file is core of your porblem. Delete it , and all be fine.
You can chek it with notepad before deleting and will be wondered.

Good luck.

paynterf@gmail.com

#5 Post by paynterf@gmail.com » 02 Jul 2017, 03:35

I just recently went through this problem (for the umpteenth time!). What makes this really aggravating is the difficulty of searching for files with "~" in the name (at least in windows). So, I finally figured this out. The syntax for searching for files with a leading '~' in Windows is

file:~"~*"

Copy this into the search window of any 'windows explorer' window and it will find any such files in that folder or any sub-folders. To find all such files on an entire drive, make sure the explorer window is pointed at that drive before starting the search.

I also saved several such searches (one for my local 'DipTrace' folder, one for C:\, and one for E:\ (my data drive)

Hope this helps,

Frank

mbelectronicdesign

#6 Post by mbelectronicdesign » 26 May 2020, 00:39

I recently ran into this issue (again) with Diptrace 3.3.1.2

In Windows 10 Explorer you now have to go to View > Options> Change Folder and Search Options.

Under the View tab, find and uncheck 'Hide protected operating system files' options and override the warnings as you apply and get out of that dialogue box.

Then you will see the file ~mylibraryname.lib that is causing you to be being blocked from opening mylibraryname.lib.

Deleted that ~mylibraryname.lib file (THE ONE THAT STARTS WITH THE TILDE) and then you will be able to open your blocked library.