Post subject: Library refresh
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2010, 01:25 

I will update a pattern, and then work a bit to get the component to recognize the change. In the schematic, when I have changed a component, I do Library > Library Setup and delete my library from the list of all libraries. Then I do an add to add the changed library into place. I then do a couple F6 to make the Components toolbar refresh.

I was hopeful that Library > Update would just propagate the changes for me. Instead it opens a web page. So maybe a Library> Refresh choice could be added to automate looking for libraries that have changed recently, and make the change propagate.

Post subject: Re: Library refresh
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2010, 11:29 

I agree! I am always struggling with getting my pattern changes to update in the PCB layout. Yes I know about the update component in PCB but it doesn't seem to work reliably, for instance, if the component is locked and you update it nothing happens and you don't get a reminder that that component has been locked.

Ultimately, what I do because I can't remember all the quirks is manually propagate the pattern change throughout my library and then update my schematic and then refresh my PCB from the now updated schematic which does then remind me about locked components. Which I always say yes go ahead to.

Automatic pattern propagation would be SO helpful.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2010, 15:15 

JackBak wrote:
I agree! I am always struggling with getting my pattern changes to update in the PCB layout. Yes I know about the update component in PCB but it doesn't seem to work reliably, for instance, if the component is locked and you update it nothing happens and you don't get a reminder that that component has been locked.

Ultimately, what I do because I can't remember all the quirks is manually propagate the pattern change throughout my library and then update my schematic and then refresh my PCB from the now updated schematic which does then remind me about locked components. Which I always say yes go ahead to.

Automatic pattern propagation would be SO helpful.

I like it the way it is. Many components that have mounting holes I need to change the mounting hole to pad in order to address through hole plating, or I alter the pad size in order to accomidate tight routing. I lock them so that they don't get updated back to standard settings causing issues. In some instances I've modified the pattern in the PCB tool and I forget to update the schematic, if the pattern reverts back, I lose all of my nice routed traces attached to the updated component. I've also experienced orientation or small position changes when updating the PCB from schematic. Locked components never get moved or rotated. In most cases I believe only one or two pattern changes are made per design, therefore its pretty easy to just unlock the component you just modifed to apply the change.

If this change is implemented I would prefer to be prompted before appling a change to a locked component. For instance, a dialog box with the component number and type should be display with the text "Component is locked, Update anyway?" (Yes/No/No to All/Yes to All/Abort).

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2010, 15:27 

Prompting while doing the propagation seems perfectly reasonable -- the lack of propagation is what I dislike.