Multiple via connection (a.k.a. via stitching)

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
poorchava

Multiple via connection (a.k.a. via stitching)

#1 Post by poorchava » 20 Aug 2012, 02:24

Are there any plans for adding this feature in upcoming releases? It would greatly help when routing power traces. Currently the only way to do seems to be using static vias, because using normal routing vias cause traces to behave in an uncontrolled manner, an using static vias is cumbersome when traces are to be moved.

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Multiple via connection (a.k.a. via stitching)

#2 Post by Alex » 21 Aug 2012, 02:20

You can use fanout feature. It can create short trace from a pad and static via for all pads of selected net. Or do you need other feature?

poorchava

#3 Post by poorchava » 21 Aug 2012, 06:25

I didn't mean power traces for land grid packages. I meant power traces in high current applications (eg 0.4" wide track). My designs include some high power devices, where very wide traces are present (or in some cases lead simultaneously on both sides of PCB and stitched with vias).

Abunada

#4 Post by Abunada » 26 Jan 2013, 20:19

I completely agree with you poorchava, I really struggeled while trying to implement via stitching with normal routing vias.

Alex
Technical Support

#5 Post by Alex » 28 Jan 2013, 00:52

Ok, the feature has been added to our feature list. Thanks.

InvalidError

#6 Post by InvalidError » 17 May 2014, 13:12

Still on the To-Do list?

For anyone still waiting for via-stitching, one way to ghetto-stitch if you can spare some pin count is to create via-stitching footprints, attach it to a single-pin component where all stitches are internally connected and then add it to your schematic.

In my case, I wanted to do via-stitching in my high-current screw terminals's rings. One large "pin" with super-sized ring that covers the eight surrounding pins I am using for stitching so the whole thing costs me nine pins if I do not want to do via-stitching by hand every time I use one of those.

How about recognizing all same-numbered pins from pattern editor as the same net/pin in component editor and PCB layout? I cannot think of any other good reason to number multiple pins the same. Another possibility would be to add vias to pattern editor and automatically make them part of the same net as whatever pin or pad they touch. This way, people who frequently reuse the same stitching patterns can save them as a component and either add them to their schematics or directly in their PCB layout.

Adding via-stitching by hand would not be as bad if there was a quick way to define and copy arrays of 'em much in the same way the pattern editor can generate a variety of pin arrays.

BTW, there appears to be two bugs with placing vias:
1)
observed behavior: vias placed on planes/pours are not assigned to any net by default
expected behavior: vias placed on planes/pours are assigned by default to whatever net (plane/pour) they were placed on just like they do when they get placed on signal traces

2)
observed behavior: when copy-pasting vias, pasted vias forget which net they were originally on
expected behavior: pasted vias retain their original net assignment

Granted, in either case, a quick work-around is to arrange the vias, select them all and them assign them to whatever net in one lump so these are relatively minor inconveniences.

VEC7OR
Expert

#7 Post by VEC7OR » 29 May 2014, 07:49

I'd ask for ratline with CTRL depressed to automatically connect with a single click to the last used net, or let me select the vias I want and add the all to the net I want.

> InvalidError

1) No bug here, I'd ask for a modifier key to be pressed for the behavior you are asking - the function is 'place static via' and it does exactly that, press CTRL and it should become 'place and connect static via'

2) NO, this is a bad suggestion, as copy-pasting created new parts, and they are treated as new parts - copy-pasting a resistor creates a new resistor, same with traces, same with vias, this is consistent.
Yeah, about copying - how about duplicate function ?
My rhombicosidodecahedron is bigger than yours.

GSnyder

#8 Post by GSnyder » 31 May 2014, 19:50

VEC7OR wrote:Yeah, about copying - how about duplicate function ?
Just in case you're not aware of this, you can use the Matrix command to create rows, columns, or grids of vias. I know it's not the same as a generic Duplicate command, but it's pretty good for, say, board-edge stitching. (Except that you then have to go back and assign all the nets...)

envisionelec

#9 Post by envisionelec » 13 Jul 2015, 02:59

How are you selecting multiple Static Vias and selecting a single net? Right, now I am faced with adding a couple hundred stitches to a net BY HAND.

Consider me very unhappy. :evil:

EDIT: Well, by playing around - I found that I can select multiple vias, right click -> Thermal Settings (misleading) and join by layer. Not exactly ideal, but a workaround.
DIPTrace 2.9.0.1 Beta Full Edition
Windows 8.1 Classic Shell

Jalkasieni

#10 Post by Jalkasieni » 10 Feb 2016, 02:27

Via stitching would be great addition. Current manual placement is time consuming in larger designs.
Stitching is important in hi-speed/RF designs to connect multiple ground planes together and minimizing ground impedance and emi. It is useful in hi-power designs to increase current handling capacity of traces and ease design process when a hi-current trace needs to change layer (place multiple vias at once).

One possible implementation is polygonal area tool, very similar to copper pour placement.
Polygonal tool would allow easy placement on grounded (poured) areas and inside of large traces. Vias themselves would be automatically computed and placed like copper pouring.
Options of polygonal via placement should be similar to copper pour with ability to set via style, distance between vias, clearance to traces and witch net to connect.
It would be great to have multiple stitching patterns: even distance and zigzag (see attached example).
Attachments
polygonal via placement
polygonal via placement
Diptace_via_st.jpg (170 KiB) Viewed 1193 times