Github Integration

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
mgriebling

Github Integration

#1 Post by mgriebling » 16 Oct 2017, 01:17

It would be a great time saver if DipTrace could be integrated with GitHub to keep track of schematic, PCB, and component changes. Right now, we're forced to do a manual revisioning where each new schematic and PCB is numbered differently. I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate this feature. It would also be helpful in seeing at a glance what changes were made to a schematic or PCB. Visual schematic/PCB revision views would be fantastic with the ability to toggle between revisions.

bigjosh

Re: Github Integration

#2 Post by bigjosh » 16 Oct 2017, 04:02

I agree this would be very useful.

I think having a way to do export from the command line could help with this. You could create a batch file that exported the diptrace designs in various formats as part of the commit process. For example, I'd like to be able to see a visual diff for PCB layouts, and there are already nice tools on github for doing this with images. So I'd export the layers of the PCB as, say, PNG files and commit those to the repo.

I've though about simulating something like this using a tool like Autohotkey to start Diptrace and do all the clicks to make the exports happen automatically. Haven't had time yet.

KevinA

#3 Post by KevinA » 16 Oct 2017, 16:34

Weird timing. I just setup a website to do OPCB (Open Source PCB) using Github. I have the steps down to Clone the git, import the libraries PCB drawings and schematics, work, export and commit to git. If someone commits check the part/drawing out and reimport it. A pain but doable on the context it requires less effort than trying to merge many changes by hand then everyone downloading everything. For a small project with several hundred parts it should work without issues, well as few as possible issues. Over the next week I'll finish up the Git and website.
Git is complex but if we could have a native ascii save setting that would really make it easy, with tools like GitKraken it would take seconds to git...

trew

#4 Post by trew » 14 Dec 2017, 22:43

Look at the article GitHub vs BitBucket vs GitLab: Developers' Research
I think that BitBucket is the best one, but that author thinks differently. :roll:

DavidJonesу

#5 Post by DavidJonesу » 25 Jan 2018, 01:01

You could also read the latest research GitHub vs BitBucket vs GitLab vs Coding - https://artjoker.net/blog/github-vs-bit ... vs-coding/

What do you think about it?