Via in SMD pad

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
KevinA

Via in SMD pad

#1 Post by KevinA » 04 Oct 2017, 08:05

I've been working with 3.5mm phone jacks and barrel power connectors, a couple of suppliers suggested adding via to the SMD pad to help support the Jack. So I tried it:
nail.JPG
nail.JPG (31.61 KiB) Viewed 225 times

in 3D
nail1.JPG
nail1.JPG (27.14 KiB) Viewed 226 times
I built this with PCB editor, made one PAD and added 4 via's, cut and pasted then renamed all pads but I had to rename each via to pin 9 (Why did vias pick up the need for a pad number?). Built a component with 9 pins and added the pattern after saving it into a pattern library (NOTE: Bug, the PCB Editor created the pattern but when saved as a component to a library I don't have a means to name the pattern, I have to open the pattern editor and select the blank space then name it.) I created a PCB and placed the pattern:
nail2.jpg
nail2.jpg (22.77 KiB) Viewed 225 times
I appears this will work and I believe if I rename the via to 9 (last pin number + 1) before copying it this won't be so labor intensive.

My Suggestion would be a tool that allows placing nail down vias on SMD pads as arrays without associating pin numbers with the vias.

mbelectronicdesign

Re: Via in SMD pad

#2 Post by mbelectronicdesign » 12 Nov 2017, 00:58

The request is reasonable but you can already have more pad numbers in the footprint than in the component. I often add extra pads e.g. to a USB connector, the component shows the normal pins 1-5 which includes a ground pin for the USB connector, then in the attached pattern dialog box in Component Editor, you can wire the extra pads to the one ground pad just by click/dragging from one pad to another in the pattern window (it shows up in red).
Attachments
USBb.PNG
USBb.PNG (26.21 KiB) Viewed 206 times