Import/Export pin names

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
MatM

Import/Export pin names

#1 Post by MatM » 25 Jul 2017, 02:25

A simple request: can we have import/export buttons on the Pin Manager: which can import/export from CSV files?

When dealing with >100pin devices, it can be a right pain to enter, then validate, correct pin names: having CSV facilities would not only allow sharing of data, but also enable validation in Excel afterwards!

Mat

KevinA

Re: Import/Export pin names

#2 Post by KevinA » 26 Jul 2017, 09:02

MatM wrote:A simple request: can we have import/export buttons on the Pin Manager: which can import/export from CSV files?

When dealing with >100pin devices, it can be a right pain to enter, then validate, correct pin names: having CSV facilities would not only allow sharing of data, but also enable validation in Excel afterwards!

Mat
200% :mrgreen:
Where is an upvote when you need it!

If I could tab between entries that would help, another PCB product allows PDF capture of pin names which is faster and less prone to errors than the DT method.

I don't know how you get the PDF data into a CSV but I just tried Microsoft Word 2016, it opened MKE02P64M40SF0.pdf and converted it allowing me to grab the 8.1 Signal multiplexing and pin assignments then paste them into Excel - that was a first. A little Google-Fu found A-PDF to Excel ($39) but you still have the manual issue of hacking the table into a usable CSV import with Name Number X Y Length Type Electric Show Name format.

Ideally would be a XML file that would be appended to the product PDF with the description of the part, PRC based PDF files can deal with this as well as the 3D image being stored in the one PFD. That would simplify our life once everyone started producing this but since no one can agree on anything this will never happen.

From mcuoneclipse: "I have seen several board designs failing with boards produced, only to find out in the software that a pin cannot be used as intended because of some side conditions. That’s why I recommend my students to do the muxing and software *first*, and then do the board layout based on the muxing." Done that, been there.

and using KDS Processor Expert: "And it is possible to export that table view in a CSV file format for Excel, using Export > Export the Pins in CSV from the Pins menu (web version) or from the File menu (Desktop version)"
But that only produces pin number and name.