Post subject: Allow datasheet link to be a website or local file location
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 13:23 

one of the things that I find really helps is the design process is to be able to bring up a datasheet quickly for a particular part. DipTrace has the ability to do this but only for a web address. I have always maintained a local "parts" folder that contains all of the parts I have either designed with or am interested in. I can (and have) copied them to my website, but I want to be able to be "offline" and access these parts from a schematic also.

A related issue to this is the "protected status" of the diptrace libraries. I can't add a valid link to an already defined part - example National Semi LM386 and there is not link and I can't add one without copying the part to my library and then adding a link. This really defeats the purpose of having massive libraries from diptrace if the info isn't there.

Maybe there is a way to get the info to DipTrace, but then how long would I have to wait before it shows up...

[that night after posting this]
The component editor should have a browse button for the datasheet. I can cut and paste a link. I can also use a local file based link in the field, so I answered part of my feature request issue -

file:///drive/folder/part.pdf will work
- drive is c: etc
- folder is just where ever you store local parts
- part.pdf is the part

example

file:///c:/parts/IC_MICROCHIP_POC24F16KA101.pdf

I just end up having to cut and paste rather than navigate to the location. By the way, I realize I could "add" the pdfs to my project, but I really want to get to the datasheet when I am looking at the part in the schematic - would be nice to have a datasheet button in the right clock context menu on the part (DesignSpark does this, but their datasheet stuff is broken).