Post subject: Updated Libraries with only *in production* components
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2017, 23:56 

I've been using Diptrace for the last few months, and I really like it, but my problem is with the parts libraries.

For example, on one of my boards, I needed a Micro-USB 2.0 connector. This seems like it would be easy to find in any standard library for PCB layout software...but apparently not Diptrace. I had to look through about 100+ different parts (that are all named by their cryptic part number and offer no hint as to what it even is until you look it up) and USB connectors, 99% of which are no longer in production. Eventually I found a Micro-USB 2.0 made by Molex, which I then found out was in production but back-ordered on Digikey and Mouser because it is so old, nobody uses it anymore.

Same thing goes for all of the SD card connectors. 99% of them are old, and outdated pads for components that are no longer even in production. Is there some way you guys can sort through some of this stuff and make a folder with up-to-date pads for stuff like an Ethernet jacks, USB 2.0 / USB 3.0 connector, micro SD card connector, etc (all of the standard parts that everyone needs), that are actively in production and a popular part on Digikey?

I know some people will say, why don't you just make the pad yourself, and I agree with them - I do for 90% of the parts. But some things like a micro usb connector that is in production, and ready to ship from digikey, should not be this difficult to find. Maybe I'm missing something, and not understanding how to effectively navigate the libraries?

Post subject: Re: Updated Libraries with only *in production* components
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 08:14 
Expert

I find it rather surprising you asking for stuff like connectors - have you seen the number of manufacturers who make them ? Have you seen the number of models out there ?

I've used SD card slots, and they are rather up-to-date. Yes, the search is bad, and model numbers don't make sense - but take it to TE/Molex/etc.

Instead ask for a relational database for components - that way it would be easy to create groups and assign more designators to the components.

Quote:
should not be this difficult to find.

This only mean that you don't know the part numbers. (neither do I, but thats another story)

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 12:28 

More designators would be nice. My point is that when looking through USB connectors, most of them are huge USB 1.0 connectors from literally 15 years ago. Nobody would ever use 90% of the stuff in there anymore. There needs to be a way of selecting a "USB 2.0" checkbox, for example, to filter out all of that crap.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 12:47 

This is a good opportunity for someone that would take on the task of operating an online 'clearing house' of sorts for these things.

Diptrace itself is simple enough and the company that makes it might be better off spending their time working on the app itself. Some other group
can likely do a very good job of consolidating, and maintaining an online list of parts.

One issue would likely be getting permission for including the parts and error checking the results. I know some companies will not allow the work product of their employees to just donate a part to this database. It might be easier if they thought they were getting at least as much out of it in the form of already produced parts than they were putting in, but that's not going to happen until there is a good sized database of parts.

I know it's a Catch-22 but it's an idea.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2017, 08:53 
Technical Support

Number of components in standard libraries is increased in each new version. We consider partitioning outdated and actual components to different libraries. Also we plan to provide library updates often than the software.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2017, 02:32 

Awesome, thanks!

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2017, 09:16 
Expert

I don't see any reason to remove obsolete parts from the library (We still use the "USB 1.0 connectors"), but I can see value in being able to select whether you want to see them or not. Perhaps add a checkbox to the search window called "include obsolete"? Of course, all of the libraries would have to be updated to include support for this.

-Rick