Post subject: New Pad type - Surface with Void
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2016, 11:01 
Expert

Recently, there have been posts asking how to lay down ring-shaped surface mount pads. To be able to do this in DipTrace, there is a long, involved and inconvenient procedure (see http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10961). It would be a significant time-saver if a third pad type called "Surface with Void" was added to the Pad Properties dialog window to facilitate the creation of ring (or other) shaped surface mount pads with copper voids. The copper void for this new type of surface mount pad would be defined in the Hole/Void section. The other previously-requested option called Pad Offset would work for both Through-Hole and Surface with Void types, but would not be necessary/active for the standard Surface type (see http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11130 for details on the Pad Offset feature request).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: New Pad type - Surface with Void
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2016, 17:45 
Expert

You know Tom, it seems to me that if the Signal layer 'Convert to Pad' option in the Pattern Editor was available for ALL of the 'Shape' options instead of only the 'Polyline' option that this would solve this problem... no? Or am I missing something?

If so, Alex, can you comment on this? Is there some reason that 'Convert to Pad' is limited to only the 'Polyline' shape?

Jeff

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2016, 06:19 
Expert

dtu2 wrote:
"...if the Signal layer 'Convert to Pad' option in the Pattern Editor was available for ALL of the 'Shape' options instead of only the 'Polyline' option that this would solve this problem..."
That would help when importing a *.dxf drawing to become a pad shape, but I think you would still have to bring it into the PCB Layout Editor first. To create a surface mount pad with a copper void it would be great to be able to simply call out a "Surface with Void" pad type, or offset a pad with respect to its Void (or Hole in the case of a Through-Hole pad) using the Pad Properties dialog window. This would make the pad creation process in DipTrace a lot more convenient and powerful.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2016, 12:50 
Expert

mmm... not sure if I was very clear in what I was trying to say.

IF the Pattern Editor 'Convert to Pad' option was available for ALL shape tools instead of just limited to the 'Polyline' shape tool you could draw a circle or rectangle, change the line width, convert THIS shape into a pad and simply save it as a new pattern. You would end up with a round or rectangular pad with a void in the center. In fact, I believe you can do this using the 'Polyline' tool (without resorting to importing a .dfx shape) but this only works with the 'Polyline' tool and not the others. Of course, making a circular pad with the 'Polyline' tool is not practical, hence it would help to be able to convert ALL shapes into pads.

I've always been a bit curious why the 'Convert to Pad' feature already exists but is limited to only Polyline shapes. In fact, being that the 'Convert to Pad' right-click-context-menu-option only appears in conjunction with the 'Polyline' tool and is missing on the other shape tools, a person might not even be aware that this option exists unless they just happened to stumble across it.

Well, anyway, I was hoping Alex would see this and would comment... Alex, care to enlighten... ?

--- CORRECTION ---
This post is in error. The Convert to Pad option is only available on Filled Polygon shapes and not the Polyline shape. Sorry, my error!!

Last edited by dtu2 on 10 Aug 2016, 13:56, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2016, 13:33 
Expert

dtu2 wrote:
"...Polyline tool to do this and making a circular pad with it is not practical, hence it would help to be able to convert ALL shapes into pads. I really am curious why the 'Convert to Pad' feature is limited to only Polyline shapes..."
Please forgive me if I'm wrong here, but from what I can see the Convert to Pad function seems to be limited to filled Polygon shapes, not Polyline shapes. I agree that being able to convert other closed drawing figures (e.g. ellipse, rectangle), in conjunction with using the line thickness setting, into pads would be a help.

How about it, Alex?

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2016, 13:54 
Expert

Tom, you are correct, I just checked it and it is only 'Filled Polygon' shapes on the Signal layer and not the 'Polyline' shape. I should have checked verified that before posting instead of relying on old memory.

Sorry to all for the confusion... I'll go back and edit the post to note the error.

But yes it would still help if all shapes could be converted to pads.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2016, 08:47 
Technical Support

Convert to pad works for polygonal shapes only.
In the past users complained that editing polygonal pads by coordinates was too complex. Editing polygonal shapes is much easier. We decided we could add two functions:conversion polygonal pads to shapes and back. That solved the problem and added some possibilities.
We didn't apply the function for other kind of pads and shapes because it doesn't make sense to convert round, oval and rectangular pads to polygonal pad or shape.

In regards to the feature request, it isn't hard to add the feature but it is difficult to export that pad to Gerber format. Ideally PCB Layout should support multilayer Gerber files with negative layer (for the void). But it doesn't. Therefore all pads with voids should be created as complex polygonal pads.