Post subject: Snap Option
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017, 05:41 

Hi. I'm new to DipTrace. For more than 10 years now we are using Circad/OmniGyph and the only limitation why we need to migrate to DipTrace is the Blind/Buried vias. When I tried DipTrace, I didn't noticed a snap option when copying & moving an object. I would like to request this feature if possible.

When copying or moving an object (device, pads, group, block, etc.), you can assign or snap a grabbing point (nearest, end point or mid point for lines and arcs / center or quadrant for circles) and paste it to a certain point of an object which you can also assign or snap to (perpendicular, nearest, end point or mid point for lines and arcs / center or quadrant for circles). In this way, copying and moving of an object is not limited to SNAP TO GRID only but will be more precised.

This snap option is also applicable to any function that needs more precision like placing shapes for all environment of DipTrace especially when making components, patterns & placing of objects on a precised location.

Post subject: Re: Snap Option
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 08:02 

Diptrace allows aligning pattern on the board. Select pattern then right-click on it and select snap to grid from the drop-down.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 11:28 
Expert

Snap by origin should be the default option.
Also there should be an option to snap to all the nodes inside the patter with a press of a modifier key.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2017, 06:56 

Thank you very much for your quick respond. Regarding this modifier key, is this option available already in the current version of Diptrace? Where to find?

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2017, 10:00 
Technical Support

VEC7OR wrote:
Snap by origin should be the default option.
Also there should be an option to snap to all the nodes inside the patter with a press of a modifier key.

You can select all components, right click on any of selected and choose "Snap to grid ->By Origin".
We will add align and distribute function in the next version. It will align selected components by left/right/top/bottom side or center of components. I think this function will solve many problems with component positioning.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2017, 02:06 

Yes it seems that I started to understand the DipTrace environment. Thank you very much for your support.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2017, 17:13 
Expert

Alex wrote:
You can select all components, right click on any of selected and choose "Snap to grid ->By Origin".
We will add align and distribute function in the next version. It will align selected components by left/right/top/bottom side or center of components. I think this function will solve many problems with component positioning.

I have to do this every time, and it should be an option, the default option.
Besides, who uses align and distribute in a CAD package ? Its very rare for components to be on a single line.
What was the reason to develop that ? What is the usage scenario for that ? Doing patterns (for LED lights for example) is a bit useless, because most of the time you start on the board and just copy paste till it looks right, and Diptrace lacks back-annotation.
Snap to node will provide a faster way for a repeatable placement option.
Its been numerous time when I did 'skeletons' on an assembly layer and used them to align component groups (yeah, there should be a macro option, but we aren't going to see that one anytime soon...) - and please, pretty please add a modifier key for it to snap *only* to origin - if a component has a lot of nodes it will be useless because it will try to snap to any of them.