Post subject: Multi Part Component - "glue" two parts together?
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2012, 19:25 

Hi!

I'm making my first steps with DipTrace, and just created a custom library with a component, the IC LM3046, a 5-transistor array where two of the transistors have joint emitters, going on the same pin.

Now, it would make sense to enforce that those two transistors, each one component, are always moved together in Schematics editor, and to keep together the emitters as one connection.
Is that possible?

I at first tried to make that pair as one component, so it would always move as such - but the shown numbers on the individual parts in Schematic are confusing, since Q1Q2 pair would be IC.1, and Q3 would be shown as IC.2, Q4 as IC.3, etc, i.e. off by one, not corresponding to usual schematics using that IC.

Post subject: Re: Multi Part Component - "glue" two parts together?
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2012, 09:48 
Technical Support

I would create the component with 4 parts. Q1..Q5 numbers are relative, it is not necessary to correspond part number to transistor RefDes.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2016, 05:37 

I know its a old topic, but instead of creating a new one i figure i'd ask how this went?
I too am trying to create the LM3046 and can't really figure out how to do it (DP-beginner).

Creating it with 5 parts would be great for me, but can't find any info on how to set that up. Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2016, 05:08 
Expert

For a 5-part LM3046, the first part should contain the transistor pair Q1 and Q2, the second part Q3, the third part Q4, the fourth part Q5 and the fifth part power. Once the component has been created...
1) Open the Schematic Editor and place all five parts of the first LM3046.
2) Right-click on the part containing the transistor pair Q1 and Q2, select Properties... in the pop-up menu, change the Part RefDes: to "Q1/2" and click on [OK].
3) Right-click on the part containing Q3, select Properties... in the pop-up menu, change the Part RefDes: to "Q3" and click on [OK].
4) Right-click on the part containing Q4, select Properties... in the pop-up menu, change the Part RefDes: to "Q4" and click on [OK].
5) Right-click on the part containing Q5, select Properties... in the pop-up menu, change the Part RefDes: to "Q5" and click on [OK].
Assuming that this is the first IC on the schematic, part reference designators for the LM3046 will show as U1 (power), U1.Q1/2, U1.Q3, U1.Q4 and U1.Q5.

In order for this component part reference designator numbering sequence to continue without having to re-enter new part reference designators every time another LM3046 is placed...
1) Select/highlight all five parts of the original LM3046 and copy (Ctrl + C).
2) Now paste (Ctrl + V) and, without clicking, move the second example into the clear using the arrow keys.
Assuming that the second LM3046 is only the second IC on the schematic, part reference designators for this LM3046 will show as U2 (power), U2.Q1/2, U2.Q3, U2.Q4 and U2.Q5.

It's not perfect, but it might come close to what you are looking for if you need Q1 and Q2 to remain together.

platniklas wrote:
"...Creating it with 5 parts would be great for me, but can't find any info on how to set that up..."
1) Launch the Component Editor, click on Help in the Main Menu and select Component Editor Help in the drop-down menu.
2) In the Component Editor Help window, select the Contents tab, choose [+]Component Editor, [+]Working with Component, [+]Multi-Part Component and [?]Working with parts.

Last edited by Tomg on 28 Nov 2016, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2016, 11:42 

Awesome. This is just what i did last night. Didn't have the chance to let you know before posting this helpful and detailed message, so thanks!