Post subject: Mounting hole and fiducial
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010, 17:20 

I'm trying to make make a object that I can use for a mounting hole, the mounting hole option alows you to specify inside and outside. I need to make the same but with 4 spokes instead of a blank on the bottom only, the top stills remains blank as in a mounting hole. I want to use this to make ground when I use a copper pour and make it easy to cut the spokes if I don't want it grounded. ID = .16 in. and OD is .375 in.

Also I am trying to make a fiducial for the library, approx .1" dia with a mask free dia of .2 ". I can't figure out the mask diamter.

Thanks

Geoff

Post subject: Re: Mounting hole and fiducial
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010, 20:57 

It is not clear what you want to do. You want to have a fiducial to serve as a mounting hole? If you have a hole, there will not be a pattern in the middle. If there is a pattern and no hole, you can't get a screw thru it. Now if you are looking to just mark the point that you are going to drill out, you can do that.

To make an area not masked, you can add a corresponding pattern to the Top Mask layer.

Your second paragraph is also confusing. Are you asking what the diameter of a 0.2 " feature is? I wouldn't think so. To make a round feature with a diameter of 0.2, make one X of an ellipse be 0.2 different from the other X, and make one Y be 0.2 different from the other Y.

So am I anywhere close to what you are asking?

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010, 21:46 

sorry I was trying to ask 2 questions in one post.

First question . When I use the mounting hole it allows me to define the hole diameter and the OD of the "clear area". When I do a copper pour i have a clear area and the hole. What I want is to do is on the top I want a clear area so the mounting screw will not touch but on the bottom I would like to have a hole with a ring and 4 spokes connectting the ring to the copper pour which is ground. If iI don't want the ground to make I simply cut the four spokes. I can do it with a pad but i don't want the pad on the top.

Second question I am trying to make a fiducial in the library so I can easily add. I was thinking about .1" diameter with a .2" mask clear area. I can't seem how to figure out how to do that. If I use a pad it will come through as a hole in the solder stencil and I don't know how to adjust the mask properties for a single pad.

Hope this is a bit clearer.

Thanks
Geoff

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010, 22:43 

I am a novice at this.

Quote:
I'm trying to make make a object that I can use for a mounting hole, the mounting hole option alows you to specify inside and outside. I need to make the same but with 4 spokes instead of a blank on the bottom only, the top stills remains blank as in a mounting hole. I want to use this to make ground when I use a copper pour and make it easy to cut the spokes if I don't want it grounded. ID = .16 in. and OD is .375 in.

I don't know how to generate a pad of arbitrary shape or a thru-hole pad with a different shape top and bottom.

Quote:
Second question I am trying to make a fiducial in the library so I can easily add. I was thinking about .1" diameter with a .2" mask clear area. I can't seem how to figure out how to do that. If I use a pad it will come through as a hole in the solder stencil and I don't know how to adjust the mask properties for a single pad.

Check attached exp_grc.lib file. It is a pattern that somwhat matches the way I interpret what you want. The fiducial does not show up in normal viewing. Give it a try.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010, 23:23 

Im pretty new to this when you mention about selecting top mask area I went and played abit and got it to work, Thanks and thanks for sending your fiducial.

I tried the mounting hole thing and didn't have much luck.

Thanks
Geoff

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 02:08 
Technical Support

Use pad instead of moumting hole. But if you want no shape on top layer, switch to top layer, right click on the pad and select "Hide pad ring in layer".
This works in PCB Layout only.