3D Model Colors

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
EEigor

3D Model Colors

#1 Post by EEigor » 06 Sep 2012, 22:06

Hi Everyone,

I started using Diptrace recently in an attempt to switch from EagleCAD since Eagle is becoming increasingly impractical to use. So far, Diptrace seems really amazing.

I'm slowly re-making my libraries in Diptrace and since I"m already doing the work I decided to make 3D models for components in my library (or use the existing models where possible). I've used Wings3D to create the model, attached it to the pattern in the pattern editor (had to scale it to get it to fit, I use 1 Wings unit = 1mm and all my components are in metric units).

So far so good. However, I can not figure out for the life of me how to get colors (materials) that I define in Wings3D to show on the components once they are imported to Diptrace. Regardless of the color I set to the components in Wings3D, they always come out just gray in Diptrace.

Could someone please drop me a hint or two on how to get materials (colors) from Wings3D to be recognised in Diptrace? I use .wrl export feature in Wings3D and import the model into diptrace that way.

Thank you,
Regards,
-Igor

-- 09 Sep 2012, 23:14 --

Ok, I figured it out.

For future reference, new material(s) need to be created (right click in Wings3D, select material), then those new material(s) assigned to desired faces of the objects.

I was playing with colors and textures, not with materials, so it didn't work after export. Sure takes a few hours to pick-up this 3D modelling jargon!

Cheers,
-Igor

pradipkhare

Re: 3D Model Colors

#2 Post by pradipkhare » 17 Sep 2012, 04:15

Would you able to share models those you made pls?