Copy component to a new library?

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
Exality

Copy component to a new library?

#1 Post by Exality » 05 Dec 2017, 11:59

I would like to copy a component from an existing library to a new component library which will be associated only with one project. (This is a good way to handle microcontrollers, for example, so you can customize the pin location and naming for the way they are used only in one project. I start with the generic component from the DipTrace main library and then rearrange it for a given project.)

The Component Editor doesn't see project libraries, but I could put groups under User Components for each project and make it work that way. But I don't see how to create an empty component library so I could use the normal Component Tools / Copy Component to Another Library. Any advice?
Gerrit

Tomg
Expert

Re: Copy component to a new library?

#2 Post by Tomg » 05 Dec 2017, 12:59

Component Editor - creating a new component library
1) In the Select Component panel on the left side of the screen, click on the Current Library Group selection box and choose the User Components group in the fly-out menu.
2) Click on the Library Tools box just below the library list and choose New Library... in the fly-out menu.
3) In the Create New Library dialog window, enter a new library name in the Name: box (this is the name that will appear in the User Components library list), enter a short description in the Hint: box (this is the pop-up message that will appear when mousing-over the library name), make sure the User Components library group is selected/highlighted and click on OK. The new library name should now appear selected/highlighted at the bottom of the User Components library list.
4) Initiate a save of the new library (Ctrl + S).
5) In the Save As dialog window navigate to the folder where your custom component libraries are kept, enter the desired library name in the File name: box and click on the [Save] button.
6) In the Main Menu click on Library and select Library Setup... in the drop-down menu.
7) In the Library Setup dialog window select/highlight User Components in the Groups list and find and select/highlight the new, individual library name (not a Group Library folder) in the Group Libraries list.
8) Use one of the two following library setup options that applies to your situation...
* Option A: If you are creating a library names list by specifying the entire User Components library group folder, then click on the [Delete Selected] button to delete the new, individual library name residing outside the listed folder and choose OK. In other words, a component library that already belongs to the User Components library group will be automatically displayed in the User Components library list in the Select Component panel on the left side of the screen, negating the need to list it separately.
* Option B: If instead you are creating a library names list by selecting individual component libraries without specifying the entire User Components library group, use the arrow buttons to move the new library name to the desired location in the list and click on OK. This will result in the new library name being moved to the same position in the User Components library list located inside the Select Component panel on the left side of the screen.
Last edited by Tomg on 06 Dec 2017, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

Exality

Re: Copy component to a new library?

#3 Post by Exality » 05 Dec 2017, 13:26

Terrific, @TomG! This is perfect. Thanks again.
Gerrit