Post subject: Reference designator in the assembly drawing
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2011, 18:04 

I have made my librarys and patters, the silkscreen comes out nice with the ref des, how can i get the ref des to show up also on the assembly drawing layer, with out exporting the silkscreen layer.

On the silk screen i get the component outline with the ref des, on the assembly drawing i get the assembly layer (just as i would expect), but i also want to add the ref deg on the assembly layer without the component outline that is on the selkscreen layer.

Post subject: Re: Reference designator in the assembly drawing
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2011, 08:06 
Technical Support

In PCB Layout, select "View/ Assembly Layers/ Pattern Markings", it will copy reference designators from silkscreen to assy layers.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 00:49 

I had the same question and found the answer here with a search. However, I note it isn't really a "copy," it's just to make whatever markings are on the silk layers also appear on the assembly layers, and if you move or change something on one layer, it affects the other layer too. This is a bit of a problem on dense boards with tiny parts, where you can't reasonably put the ref designators on all the parts on the silk layers. But you might well want them in smaller type on the assembly layers, which you would print or view much magnified from the 1:1 board size. I guess my workaround for this, for now, will be to make a copy of the finished layout under another name and modify the markings to generate the assembly drawing. Yes, sometimes I miss the days of huge parts. Didn't necessarily think of them as huge at the time, but they sure look that way against 0402 resistors and capacitors and 8-pin SOT-23 and 6-pin SC70 packages. It's also helpful in-house that we can just view the whole layout in DipTrace and jump right to any part from the Design Manager list.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 09:56 
Technical Support

We will think about separate reference designators on assembly layers. Thanks.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2013, 00:13 

Is there any progress on having separate RefDes positions on the assembly layer? I'm using v2.3 and I still can't figure out how to do this. It would be very useful for me to be able to create an assembly drawing with each RefDes centered its component while still maintaining a silkscreen RefDes outside the component.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2013, 09:26 
Technical Support

No, we have not implemented this feature because there are many other features in our to-do list.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2013, 11:42 

Okay, fair enough. Just wanted to submit my vote that this would be an extremely useful feature.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2013, 18:48 

The ability to create an assembly layer with RefDes for every component is very important for me also. A lot of boards I have created are too tightly packed to have all the component labels on the silkscreen.
The RefDes should be in the middle of the component on the assembly layer. The RefDes should never be under the component on the silkscreen layer, but should be placed to the side of the component if there is room.

This article http://blogs.mentor.com/tom-hausherr/bl ... esignator/ discusses component RefDes on the silkscreen and assembly layers.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 18:00 

I will vote for this feature as well. That is, a way to have independent pattern marking in the assembly layer. This feature is needed for generating assembly drawings.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 16:42 

Don't know if you're planning to add the feature of this thread to diptrace V2.3.5, but that is one of the last thing missing to this excellent software.