Post subject: Making a footprint
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 16:33 

I'm trying to make the attached footprint. Any help would be appreciated. This is basically a SON-8 package with 4 pins joined to make a thermal pad.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Making a footprint
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011, 06:08 
Technical Support

You should use polygonal pads for this.
Create a shape on signal layer (choose "signal" layer from drop-down menu, select "polygon" tool and define points on design area), then right click on its outline and select "Convert to pad" from submenu.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011, 15:34 

The main problem you may run into is that DipTrace does not allow multiple pins in a schematic symbol to be connected together in the pcb pattern. If you design your schematic symbol with 5 pins, it will work ok. If the schematic symbol has 8 pins and you try to connect 4 pins to one pad, the pattern editor complains. Or you get drc errors in the pcb layout program.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 08:08 

Alex wrote:
You should use polygonal pads for this.
Create a shape on signal layer (choose "signal" layer from drop-down menu, select "polygon" tool and define points on design area), then right click on its outline and select "Convert to pad" from submenu.

Thanks everyone. I found this option after posting. I ended up just making a 5-pin part. I guess it would be possible to make some dummy pins for the extra pins in the schematic part.