Post subject: Question on Masks
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2011, 15:02 

I'm creating new SMT component patterns but I'm not sure if I have to create the mask or if DipTrace automatically creates masks for pads that are created. Also, I imported components from my Eagle library but these too don't seem to have anything on their mask layer.

Am I missing something obvious?

I am a fully licensed user.

Post subject: Re: Question on Masks
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 04:20 
Technical Support

DipTrace automatically creates masks for pads in PCB Layout, so you don't need to create the mask in Pattern editor.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 09:53 

Thanks, what does it do for weird pads such as the one I've created for an Infineon S308 device - see picture - pad 5 is a 16 point custom polygon.

Also, is there a way to see what the mask will look like from the pattern editor?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 08:12 
Technical Support

You can preview solder mask in PCB Layout before you exported Gerber files. In any case, solder mask will have the same shape as pad shape but a little bigger.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 10:02 

Thanks,

That will work for the above transistor but I want to be able to adjust or delete the mask altogether; I need to do this to make capacitive keypads that will be covered up with solder mask. Is this possible?

What about the paste layer? Is that visible in the pattern editor? I guess you can see it in the Gerber files but where are you supposed to set it up?

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 19:18 

I'm also interested in how to view and edit masks from the pattern editor. I have several fine pitch parts that have process dependent solder mask reliefs I'd like to be able to create different library parts for.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2011, 07:21 
Technical Support

If you want to adjust or delete solder mask for a pad, you can do it in PCB Layout. Right click on the pad, select "Mask/ Paste settings" and disable mask or change solder mask swell.

The same story is with paste layer.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2015, 10:46 

Just a note for anyone landing on this thread; the mask swell applies to the outer edge of the solder area e.g. if you have a 0.4 mm diameter round pad and you want the solder mask to be 0.5 mm diameter, you need to specify a mask swell of 0.05 mm.