Post subject: How to identify the library for an attached pattern
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2010, 15:20 
Expert

When I'm in the Component editor and I'm looking at the attached pattern for the selected component, how can I tell which library the pattern came from? I can see the name of the pattern, but in a case there there may be patterns by the same name in different libraries I need to be able to tell which one I am looking at.

Also- When looking at the Attached Pattern window- is there a way to select multiple libraries all at one time without having to repeatedly click the ADD button for each one?

Thanks for any guidance.

-Rick

Post subject: Re: How to identify the library for an attached pattern
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 06:29 
Technical Support

If a component has attached pattern, this pattern was stored in component library. Component library is self-dependent and contains all necessary data. Therefore it doesn't matter what library did the pattern come from.

We will consider adding multiple libraries at one time in the attached pattern window. Thank you!

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 09:17 
Expert

Alex wrote:
If a component has attached pattern, this pattern was stored in component library. Component library is self-dependent and contains all necessary data. Therefore it doesn't matter what library did the pattern come from.

That's interesting. I didn't realize that the pattern got stored in the component library.
The reason I asked the question is that I discovered that there are several SOT-23 footprints. Some of the ones in the SMT library have pads that are too small for hand soldering, while the SOT-23 footprints by the same name in the SOT library have bigger pads that are easier to solder. I was going through the libraries trying to identify the components that had the SOT-23 pattern with the smaller pads. You can't really see the difference by viewing the footprint in the attached pattern window.

What I ended up doing was copying all of the parts we use into as new library and manually changing the attached pattern to the one that works for us.

If you can think of an easier way to do this it would be great, since I have many more components to go through.

Thanks!

-Rick

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2010, 05:52 
Technical Support

Hi Rick,

You can check attached pattern from "Attached pattern" dialog window in Component editor. Click on triangle on right side of the dialog window to expand it and show pattern properties. Now, if you move mouse pointer over a pad, pad size and coordinates will be shown, so you can check every pad in the attached pattern.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 12:34 

Alex wrote:
We will consider adding multiple libraries at one time in the attached pattern window. Thank you!

+1 for adding multiple libraries at a time. This should also be available in "place part" window.