Post subject: How do I export self-made parts so that others may use them?
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2016, 00:40 

I've made a number of custom parts and patterns using diptrace. How do I export them--or otherwise make them available--so that others may use them?

Post subject: Re: How do I export self-made parts so that others may use t
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2016, 07:46 
Expert

Sharing Patterns - create a shared patterns library file
1) Launch the Pattern Editor and in the Select Pattern panel on the left side of the screen, click on the Current Library Group selection box near the top and choose User Patterns.
2) Click on the Library Tools box located just below the library list and select New Library... in the fly-out menu.
3) In the Create New Library dialog window, enter Library Name: Shared Patterns, Hint: Shared Patterns, set Library Group: User Patterns and click on OK. The new library named "Shared Patterns" should appear at the bottom of the library list.
4) Initiate a save (Ctrl + S).
5) In the Save As dialog window, navigate to a convenient location such as the Desktop, enter File name: Shared Patterns and click on the [Save] button.

Sharing Patterns - insert patterns
1) In the library list of the Select Pattern panel on the left side of the screen, select/highlight the new library named "Shared Patterns" if it isn't highlighted already.
2) Click on the Pattern Tools box located just below the Library Tools box and choose Insert Patterns from Another Library... in the fly-out menu.
3) In the Insert Patterns dialog window, navigate to and select/highlight the patterns you want to copy, then click on the Insert button. Repeat as needed. The newly-inserted patterns will appear in the pattern list just below the Pattern Tools box.
4) Resave the library (Ctrl + S).

Sharing Patterns - cleaning up the library list
1) In the library list of the Select Pattern panel on the left side of the screen, select/highlight the new library named "Shared Patterns" (if it isn't highlighted already), right-click on it and choose Remove "Shared Patterns" Library from "User Patterns" in the fly-out menu. The library should no longer be listed in the library list, but the pattern library file named "Shared Patterns" should still be available on the Desktop.

Now you can attach the new library file to your post. Use a similar procedure for components after you launch the Component Editor.

Last edited by Tomg on 10 Nov 2016, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2016, 09:14 

Will the shared components somehow automatically link themselves to the corresponding shared patterns? Or must they be re-linked manually?

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2016, 09:40 
Expert

The pattern is copied into the component file during the pattern "attachment" process and thus does not require a link to the pattern file. To date, the component file retains the pattern name, but not the pattern's file path; there is no link. However, the component's file does retain a link to its 3D model (the 3D model's file path), which may result in that 3D model not being rendered in a system using a different directory structure. A pattern's file retains a link to its 3D model (the 3D model's file path) also, raising similar concerns about 3D rendering.