Post subject: Pattern and Component design
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2016, 19:12 

I am going round in circles trying to do what is stated as easy - generating a pattern/new component.

Ebay videos show earlier Diptrace tuition, got nowhere. Some say start with Pattern Editor first, others say Component Editor first. Why can it not be just an easy process that you generate a pattern with a name, and that gets shown in a list in Component editor. So you just do it once, and can further enhance for PCB use.

I have started with a pattern, which all works okay, but then just saving it is a nightmare, being told it cannot be added in current library? Why?

The Diptrace tuition video runs too fast, and begins the process to far into the process, I have tried starting/stopping/starting .....

Can someone please suggest where I can find a clear line by line method to do what I want. Trying to get a Pololu A4988 motor driver (16pin)

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Pattern and Component design
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016, 05:33 
Expert

The pattern and component libraries that come with DipTrace cannot be changed. Any custom components need to be stored in the "User" libraries. There is a thread for those new to DipTrace entitled "Setting up libraries - a mini-guide" located here http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10937 which explains the basics. If you have more questions after reading it, let us all know. There are plenty of knowledgeable folks on this board willing to help.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016, 06:26 

Many thanks for your help. I will follow your link and hopefully get answers. Best regards

-- 01 Nov 2016, 12:13 --

Still stuck. I am sure I followed properly. Put 3 subfolders in where they should go. Went into each program i.e Pattern Editor, Component Editor. Added applicable library folder to each. I then went in to Patterns and did a pattern for my component Pololu A4988, saved pattern into new user patterns folder. I then went into Component editor, did drawing, saved to new user folder.

I then went into PCB Editor/design, found part, but NO PATTERN.

Why is it so long winded, thought Diptrace was easy? Even Tutorial is misleading. Regards

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016, 08:05 
Expert

See this thread about forward propagation - http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11277

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016, 19:04 

Thanks very much, that's sorted me out. Having not married the component to the pattern left the void.

Best regards