Post subject: Changing Symbol pins
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2016, 02:47 

Hi All.
I am absolutely brand new to DipTrace, but I have been using good old Protel for many years.
What I am trying to achieve is to get a PIC16F628A Symbol and alter the pin locations. i.e. I like to have my VCC at the top and GND at the bottom, plus move some of the other pins for any relevant schematic. I have retrieved the relevant library and saved it to a new location, but how do I edit the part and save it as a different name, like PIC16F628A-1?

Can somebody please help me in how to do this.

Thanks
Mike

Post subject: Re: Changing Symbol pins
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2016, 08:57 
Technical Support

Hi Mike,

You can create a custom library and copy PIC16F628A from standard to custom library. Then you will be able to edit the component and save changes.
Rename component on component properties panel. To move component pins, select and drag them using mouse. You can press R or Space to rotate selected pin.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2016, 09:03 
Expert

Here's a little more detail...

You need to insert the desired standard DipTrace component into one of your custom libraries before you can change anything on it, resave the custom library and then use that modified custom component in your schematic.

But before you do anything like this, first decide where you want to keep your custom libraries and projects files. Be absolutely sure about this as changing their locations at a later date will involve a lot of editing of individual libraries. All of the standard, unchangeable, default DipTrace libraries are lumped together inside the same folder (C:\Program Files\DipTrace\Lib). Your custom libraries should be placed inside the folder named C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\DipTrace\My Libraries. I prefer to store my custom libraries here, but in separate subfolders for components, patterns, 3D models, and spice files. Don't think that you have to do the exact same thing, but at a minimum you should place your custom libraries inside the My Libraries folder; separated or not. If you're interested in setting up your custom libraries the same way I did, use the following procedure...

Creating custom folders
1) Create one new subfolder inside the C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\DipTrace folder and name it Projects.
2) Create four new subfolders inside the C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\DipTrace\My Libraries folder and name them 3D, Components, Patterns and Spice.

Setting up the DipTrace Library Manager
1) Launch the Component Editor and in the Main Menu, click on Library and then Library Setup...
2) In the Library Setup dialog window, select/highlight User Components in the Groups list.
3) Click on the [Add Folder] button, select/highlight the new (custom) Components subfolder in the Browse For Folder dialog window and select OK.
4) In the Library Setup dialog window, select/highlight User Patterns in the Groups list.
5) Click on the [Add Folder] button again, select/highlight the new (custom) Patterns subfolder in the Browse For Folder dialog window and select OK.
6) In the Library Setup dialog window, click on OK.

Now that library management is set up, it is time for...

Changing a standard DipTrace component
1) In the Select Component window on the left side of the Component Editor, click on the Current Library Group selection box just below the Select Component arrow (near the top) and choose the User Components group in the fly-out menu.
2) Now either select the desired custom component library in the library list just below the Current Library Group selection box, or create a new one using the Library Tools box just below the library list.
3) Click on the Component Tools box just below the Library Tools box and choose Insert Components from Another Library... in the fly-out menu.
4) In the Insert Components dialog window under "Libraries", select Components in the drop-down list, select/highlight the standard DipTrace library that contains the desired component, select/highlight the desired component in the list under "Components" and click on the [Insert] button.
5) The inserted component should now be displayed in the Design Area and listed in the component list in the Select Component window on the left side of the screen.
6) Make the necessary changes to the component.
7) Resave the custom library.
8) Place the new custom component into the schematic.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2016, 11:18 

Hi Tom
Thank you so much, I followed your instructions to the letter and got EXACTLY what I wanted.

I love this program more each day. Soon be time to bite the bullet and pay up. :shock:

All I need is an answer to my other post about A4 Landscape templates and I'm on my way.
Subject is Sheet Templates if you want to have a look.
Located here http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11256

Thanks again

Mike