Post subject: RD91 Shape
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2016, 01:16 

Hello,
i must to draw an RD91 case.
RD 91 is an STM pattern for power Triak.
My problem is that i must place two pad with slot, one 43° rotated and one 41° routed.
Has some one just drawed this pakage, some one can tell me how can i rotate pads to precise angle?

Thank you

Silcio

Post subject: Re: RD91 Shape
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2016, 08:26 
Expert

I would not recommend using the RD91 package for making a direct PCB connection to the terminals. The RD91 package is for wire connections via direct soldering or push-on terminals. The tolerances specified in the datasheet for terminal angles, thickness and pattern radius would make it difficult if not impossible to create a footprint that could accept all possible manufacturing variations. (The slots would have to be made wide enough to accommodate all possible angles, pin thicknesses and pattern radii, which might rely way too much on the solder for bridging and making good electro-mechanical connections.)

I recommend using one of the other packages shown in the datasheet (D-PAK, TOP3 or TO-220AB) instead. If that is not possible, then you need to solder wires to the PCB that have push-on connectors on the opposite end (or are stripped for direct soldering) for connecting to the RD91 package; which should be mounted to a chassis or heatsink.

p.s. Just for fun, I attempted to make a pattern for the RD91 footprint, but I had no success at creating an angled, slotted, though-hole pad. An angled, surface mount pad with a "slotted" void is possible, but all of my attempts at converting it to a through-hole pad resulted in a horizontal slot that cut through the angled pad. Does anyone here know if this is even possible in DipTrace? I have included the 3D STEP file of the RD91 Triac package (see RD91.zip folder) for anyone that wants it. I used the dimensions listed in the datasheet, but a few missing dimensions had to be interpolated/estimated; which means I cannot guarantee total accuracy...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.