Post subject: Polygonal pins in pattern editor
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2016, 14:07 

I have an issue that I'm unsure how to resolve. I have a pattern for a module that requires an odd shaped pin. On the attached image, I'd like to make the area designated by the yellow lines a pin. On the PCB this trace is to be tied to ground. I can probably omit the breaks circled in red.

How does one go about making this pattern?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Polygonal pins in pattern editor
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2016, 15:23 
Expert

If that is a ground plane (full copper pour tied to the "GND" Net) on the PCB, just draw a filled shape on the Top Mask layer to remove that portion of the copper pour's Top Solder Mask. This would allow you to electrically connect what looks like a metal shield to the copper pour. I guess you would have to figure out how to make that connection using either direct soldering (if the shield can be soldered to), finger strip contacts or conductive gaskets. You could use your favorite 2D CAD program to create a *.dxf file with the desired shape and then import it into DipTrace; either to the Pattern Editor at the part level or to the PCB Editor at the PCB level. If it is part of the pattern, it will remove that part of the Top Solder Mask on the PCB ground plane when the part is placed onto the board in the PCB Editor.

Post subject: Re: Polygonal pins in pattern editor
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2016, 17:33 

Thanks Tom! Sorry for the late reply, I posted this and promptly went on vacation.

My understanding is that this is a copper gasket the device is to just sit on top of, not get soldered to... your suggestions are sort of where
my thoughts were wandering but I'll have to sort through exactly how to get this done. Thanks for the help!

-- 30 Aug 2016, 11:07 --

After beating on this a little, I think I was able to manipulate the .dxf file and get what I needed for the pattern. What I've realized however, is
that I didn't word my query very well.

With respect to the Pattern Editor and creating a pattern footprint to be used in the PCB editor...

As shown in the drawing, I have 40 pins that come in from a connector, those are easy enough to designate as pins and assign to signals.
What I need to do is to add another pin/pad for the area marked with the yellow pointers. I'm not concerned (yet anyway) with the physical
implementation, I'm just trying to figure out how to get the pattern/schematic/pcb to all play nicely together.

What I envision is that I'll have 41 signals total, 40 to the connector in the upper right and 1 "special" signal (gnd) to be tied to the
polygonal area noted as "pin" in the drawing...

-- 31 Aug 2016, 11:58 --

I think I found the answer here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11091

I'd already done the steps up to "Convert to pad" - I think this was the missing piece of my puzzle.

Thanks to everyone who contributes here!