Post subject: Component editor pin name/number rotating
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2016, 15:02 

I'm setting up an IC in component editor and I want to rotate a pin's name and number 90* from the pin itself. Is there a proper method to do this? F10 allows me to move the name and number, but I'm not able to rotate either item like I'd be able to in the schematic editor.

Also, I want to adjust the pin layout of a component in the standard library, but it's forbidden. It certainly doesn't take too long to make another component with my preferred pin layout but it sure would be nice to be able to override that and save it in the standard library.

Post subject: Re: Component editor pin name/number rotating
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2016, 08:02 
Expert

Jason Bonner wrote:
"...I'm setting up an IC in component editor and I want to rotate a pin's name and number 90* from the pin itself. Is there a proper method to do this? F10 allows me to move the name and number, but I'm not able to rotate either item like I'd be able to in the schematic editor..."
Rotation of the pin number or pin name is not possible in the Component Editor. It sounds like a good idea for a new feature, though. Try recommending this in the Feature requests forum.

Jason Bonner wrote:
"...Also, I want to adjust the pin layout of a component in the standard library, but it's forbidden. It certainly doesn't take too long to make another component with my preferred pin layout but it sure would be nice to be able to override that and save it in the standard library..."
I can see a need for being able to reposition component pins in a schematic, too. They just need the software algorithm for such a feature to cause all pins to stick to their component's outline while allowing those pins to slide into any position along that outline. And if the user decides to update all components, have the "pin-position-modified component" revert back to the stock pin arrangement unless that component has been locked.

I suppose DipTrace has deliberately locked the standard libraries to maintain consistency throughout future revisions. Presumably, this is to prevent any "surprises" for people using these libraries in their designs when schematics/PCBs are updated after a program upgrade/update has taken place; especially if files are being shared with other parties. This rigidity dictates that any needed deviation from the standard DipTrace-supplied libraries must be accomplished using your custom libraries.

One work-around for rotating pin names would be to hide the names and put rotatable text labels in their places. This is a genuine pain if you need to do this frequently...
Component Editor
1) Copy the desired component into your custom library.
2) Right-click on the desired pin and select Pin Properties... in the pop-up menu.
3) In the Pin Properties dialog window, disable (uncheck) []Show Name and click on OK.
4) Create a label with the same size font using the Place Text tool, rotate it to the desired angle and put it into position.

Unfortunately, pin numbers cannot be hidden on an individual basis. To change just one, you will have to hide all of the pin numbers. This can become time-consuming when there are a lot of pins...
Component Editor
5) Go to the Main Menu and click on Component, choose Pin Numbers in the drop-down menu and select Hide in the fly-out menu.
6) Create a new text label for every pin number using the Place Text tool and place/rotate at will.
7) Resave your custom library.
Schematic Editor
8) Place the modified component into the schematic.
9) Right-click on the component and select Pin Numbers in the pop-up menu, then choose Default in the fly-out menu.

I think this makes a solid case for submitting the above-mentioned feature request.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2016, 10:11 

Tomg,

Thanks for your reply to my inquiries. Your outline of the pin name/number rotation work-around is something I'll try on my next design. It will certainly make the schematic cleaner and easier to read, so thanks for that. I'll also forward this over to the "Feature Request" forum.

To heap some praise on the product, this is my second week using Diptrace. I spent a couple days going over the entirety of the user tutorial and then I was off and running. Super intuitive for someone who is not formally trained, and with very little layout experience. I do a lot of my own patterns and component layouts, and the Diptrace process seems really straightforward.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2016, 06:52 

Hey Jason,

Here is a Diptrace tutorial to help you learning Diptrace and make you more comfortable.
http://diptrace.com/support/tutorials/

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2016, 07:04 

I have the same issue - wanting to rotate component labels in a schematic. I've added some labels to a component as text, but once inserted into the schematic, I am not able to rotate/move those text labels with the F10 command. Am I missing something ?

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2016, 07:26 
Expert

Schematic Editor
Main Marking (e.g. RefDes): Move, Rotate
Additional Marking (e.g. Name, Part, Value, etc.): Move, Rotate
Pin Numbers: Move, no Rotate
Labels created in Schematic Editor: Move, Rotate
Labels created in Component Editor: no Move, no Rotate

Last edited by Tomg on 07 Jul 2016, 05:36, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 04:21 

Ok, thanks. I misunderstood the comment above "One work-around for rotating pin names would be to hide the names and put rotatable text labels in their places" - I thought it meant that labels were rotatable.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 05:36 
Expert

gedaso wrote:
Ok, thanks. I misunderstood the comment above "One work-around for rotating pin names would be to hide the names and put rotatable text labels in their places" - I thought it meant that labels were rotatable.
Yes, that is easily misunderstood. To clarify, text labels in the Schematic Editor are rotatable if they have been created using the Schematic Editor, but they are locked in the Schematic Editor if they have been created in the Component Editor; i.e. a Component Editor-created text label is treated as if it is part of the component outline drawing once it is brought into the Schematic Editor.