Post subject: Creating a pattern for carbon contact buttons
PostPosted: 29 May 2016, 06:51 

Hi all!

I'm wondering if anyone can advise me on an efficient method of creating patterns for carbon contact buttons, similar to the one in the linked image below.

I've tried two methods already:

[1] Create a custom polygonal pad shape for the pattern, which has proved immensely time consuming and inaccurate, and does not allow for the creation of curves.

[2] Draw custom lines and arcs in the signal layer of the pattern, and place pads where the incoming traces should connect. This seems to work functionally, but throws a large number of design rule errors in the layout where the lines and pads meet.

Is there any way to avoid these errors, or a better way to create the pattern?

Thanks for your help!

Post subject: Re: Creating a pattern for carbon contact buttons
PostPosted: 31 May 2016, 13:00 
Expert

anthoven wrote:
"...I'm wondering if anyone can advise me on an efficient method of creating patterns for carbon contact buttons..."

I suppose you could try the following...
1) Create the desired pattern in your preferred 2D CAD program and export it as a DXF file.
2) Import the DXF file into the Pattern Editor (Pattern > Import from DXF...) using the settings Add, Top Signal, [x] Fill Closed Areas.
3) Convert each filled object into a separate surface mount pad (right-click on each one and select Convert to PAD).
4) Add through-hole pads for the LED and button connections and save the new switch pattern.
5) Place the switch pattern on the PCB and route dedicated traces as needed between alternating pads and the dedicated through-hole connector pads.
6) Copy and paste the switch/traces sub-circuit as many times as needed.

There is still some tedium involved when routing the dedicated traces to create the first switch sub-circuit, but once you have completed one switch sub-circuit, it's just a matter of making copies and then connecting all of the switch sub-circuits to the outside world. If the spacing between the pads and the sub-circuit traces obeys the design rules, there shouldn't be any design rules violations. I don't know your required dimensions, so I just made some up for the example below. Sorry, but that's all I could come up with at this time.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Tomg on 01 Jun 2016, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 31 May 2016, 22:23 

Wow, thanks Tom!

That's been amazingly helpful.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2016, 09:09 

Can I do the same for 3D design patterns or 3D CAD programs can also work same?