Post subject: Multiple Components Parts
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2016, 03:54 

Hi there,
A problem I can't find a solution for is the following:

I have a potentiometer with a Double Pole Double Throw Switch.
I can create the part and have the 3 different components, potentiometer, switch 1 and switch 2, each as a seperate part of the whole that can be placed any where in a schematic.
Very nice yes, but; All 3 parts are called R. (R1.1 = pot, R1.2 switch 1, R1.3 Switch 2)

1. What to do to rename these switches as S1.1 and S1.2?
2. Also when the parts are renumbered; do S1.1 and S1.2 become eg S6.1 and S6.2 while the pot eg becomes R3 (Depending their position in the schematic)?
3. Same for a stereo pot with switches.

Thanks for any working tip.

Post subject: Re: Multiple Components Parts
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2016, 07:21 
Expert

Zanzoon23 wrote:
"...What to do to rename these switches as S1.1 and S1.2?..."
I suppose you could rename the Part reference designators to show if it is the switch or the resistor element. In the example below, the entire component may be R1 but the different Parts will show up as R1.1 (1st resistor element), R1.2 (2nd resistor element), R1.S1 (1st switch) and R1.S2 (2nd switch).

Zanzoon23 wrote:
"...Also when the parts are renumbered; do S1.1 and S1.2 become eg S6.1 and S6.2 while the pot eg becomes R3 (Depending their position in the schematic)?..."
The main Reference Designator (in this example, R1) may change depending upon schematic layout, but the Part reference designators (*.1, *.2, *.S1 and *.S2) will not change.

Zanzoon23 wrote:
"...Same for a stereo pot with switches..."
See example of a two-element, two-switch potentiometer below...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2016, 15:33 

Yes, I can live with the part reference designators as mentioned above.

But, I'm new in Diptrace and any similar pieces of sw. I haven't used them since the early 90's.
Much have changed and sometimes (all the times...) I can't see "the tree in the woods" any more.
I tried about a dozen or so of these toys but diptrace looks as the most intuitive I've seen.
It draws a schematic and creates a pcb. It can create whatever part you want and it's there.
Some problems though, but there are workarounds as long as the projects are fairly simple.

To come back to my present problem:
So I tried to find the window that looks like your example but I can't find it.
I do hopelessly something wrong or better said, I look in the wrong places (menus).

If you find the time, can you tell me how to get there?

Very much appreciated.
Cheers

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2016, 17:49 
Expert

Zanzoon23 wrote:
"...I tried to find the window that looks like your example but I can't find it..."
Sorry about the confusing diagram; it is just a composite of four different screens that I "photoshopped" together to show the different part names without using up too much screen space. The actual dialog window that shows the part RefDes can be found in the Component Properties dialog window in the Schematic Editor.

The examples below better represent what you might see when working with multi-part components in DipTrace.

Figure 1a shows Part 1 of a two-part component (the Part 1 tab at the bottom of the Component Editor's design area has been selected).

Figure 1b shows Part 2 of the same two-part component (the Part 2 tab at the bottom of the Component Editor's design area has been selected).

Figure 2 is a combined ("photoshopped") image that shows the two different displays of the same Component Properties dialog window in the Schematic Editor (after placing the two-part component into the design area). If you right-click on the component's 1st part (top potentiometer) and select Properties... in the pop-up menu, you get the window on the left. If you right-click on the component's 2nd part (bottom potentiometer) and select Properties... in the pop-up menu, you get the window on the right. This is where you can assign the part reference designators in the Part RefDes: text entry box.

For more information on multi-part components, go to the Main Menu and click on Help. Then choose DipTrace Tutorial in the drop-down menu. When the Tutorial launches, open the following categories...
[+] Creating Libraries
[+] Designing a component library
[+] Designing a multi-part component

Once again, sorry about the earlier confusion.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2016, 18:05 

This will work. A bit more work.
In my other question in this forum "Separate Patterns for a double part" another issue has been addressed.
For the developers of Diptrace something to think about.
All by all I like Diptrace due to it being so easy (until you get stuck).
Thanks for your time in finding and explaining some of the iners of multiple parts.