Setting up libraries: a mini-guide

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
Tomg
Expert

Setting up libraries: a mini-guide

#1 Post by Tomg » 29 Feb 2016, 04:34

There are always a lot of questions posted in these forums about DipTrace library management. So in order to help those who are new to DipTrace become familiar with its library system, I have written this brief "getting started" mini-guide. Please keep in mind that this does not come close to covering every aspect of pattern/component management, and it is only my understanding/interpretation of how things are set up in this software package; but it is a start. Hopefully, this mini-guide will help new users better understand the library structure (as I see it, anyway) and avoid potential pitfalls. Feel free to point out any errors and I will correct them as soon as I can.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DipTrace features a Library Manager with its own set of tools to provide access to component and pattern libraries. The Library Manager separates and organizes different library types into unique library groups. What follows is a list of these unique library groups with descriptions of their characteristics and functions, after which are instructions for creating custom folders and setting up the DipTrace Library Manager to recognize them...

Components Group
This group contains a list of the standard component libraries included with DipTrace. No modifications are allowed.

New Library Group
This group can be created by the user and given a unique name. It contains a user-defined list of component libraries and/or pattern libraries. Library locations can be specified by selecting the desired paths. Any new library group created by the user can be deleted.

Patterns Group
This group contains a list of the standard pattern libraries included with DipTrace. No modifications are allowed.

Project Libraries Group
This group features an automatically-generated design cache that contains a list of all of the components and patterns used in the currently-open project. The group itself cannot be deleted, but its list can be modified. Libraries and their locations can be added/specified by selecting the desired paths.

User Components Group
This group typically contains a list of custom component libraries. The group itself cannot be deleted, but its list can be modified. Library locations can be specified by selecting the desired paths.

User Patterns Group
This group typically contains a list of custom pattern libraries. The group itself cannot be deleted, but its list can be modified. Library locations can be specified by selecting the desired paths.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recommended locations for custom libraries and projects files
First decide where you want to keep your custom libraries and projects files. Be absolutely sure about this as changing their locations at a later date will involve a lot of tedious editing of your custom library files to update internal path names. All of the standard, unchangeable, default DipTrace libraries are lumped together inside the same folder (C:\Program Files\DipTrace\Lib). The default location for custom library files is the path C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\DipTrace\My Libraries. I recommend storing custom library files here, but in separate subfolders for components, patterns, 3D models, and spice files. You are not required to do the same, but at a minimum all custom library files should be placed inside the My Libraries folder; separated or not. The following procedure will show how to set up your custom folders in the recommended manner...

Creating custom folders
1) Create one new subfolder inside the C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\DipTrace folder and name it Projects. Each project can be kept here in its own folder containing the related schematic, PCB and manufacturing files along with any other needed documentation.
2) Create four new subfolders inside the C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\DipTrace\My Libraries folder and name them 3D, Components, Patterns and Spice.

This last procedure will show how to set up the library manager to recognize the previously-mentioned custom library folders...

Setting up the DipTrace Library Manager
1) In the Main Menu of any one of the four DipTrace editing modules, click on Library and then Library Setup... in the drop-down menu. All editors will adopt this setup.
2) In the Library Setup dialog window, select/highlight User Components in the Groups list.
3) Click on the [Add Folder] button, select/highlight the new (custom) Components subfolder in the Browse For Folder dialog window and select OK.
4) In the Library Setup dialog window, select/highlight User Patterns in the Groups list.
5) Click on the [Add Folder] button again, select/highlight the new (custom) Patterns subfolder in the Browse For Folder dialog window and select OK.
6) In the Library Setup dialog window, click on OK. Duplicate library names will not be displayed by the library manager.

Warning: As a precaution, back up all custom library and projects files to a directory separate from the default DipTrace directory; preferably to some form of secure external storage. This will prevent custom files from being lost during a DipTrace re-install or update. In the event of a catastrophic computer malfunction, externally backed-up files might be the only way to recover all of your hard work.
Tom

mariareese

Re: Setting up libraries: a mini-guide

#2 Post by mariareese » 21 Jun 2017, 00:36

is there any pdf guide available at this site?

Tomg
Expert

#3 Post by Tomg » 22 Jun 2017, 05:35

There's a tutorial available here (and in your installation) - http://www.diptrace.com/books/tutorial.pdf (Page 11 seems to be as close as they come to explaining the library configuration.)
Tom

robertbaer

#4 Post by robertbaer » 10 Jul 2017, 16:03

THAT is a very nice and coherent mini-tutorial.
BUT.
1) How does one add a part to the Design Cache.
2) How does one edit that part to make a new part.
3) Lastly, i assume it might be a Martha Stewart Good Thing to put/make a real library of the resulting mess; how?

Thanks,
R. Baer

Tomg
Expert

#5 Post by Tomg » 10 Jul 2017, 23:50

To add a component to the Design Cache, add a component to the Design Area. To delete an item from the Design Cache, select/highlight it in the components list, click on Library and choose Remove "[name]" Component from Design Cache. (Please note that this will not delete it from the Design Area.) To make a copy of the Design Cache, select Library > Save Design Cache as Library.
Tom

robertbaer

#6 Post by robertbaer » 12 Jul 2017, 10:09

Thanks for the "add-on" tip.
As far as i m concerned, it is TOO damn easy to delete valuable resources, the invisible Design Cache in particular.
I say invisible because it does not seem to exist anywhere.
Ditto for any libraries except the "My Libraries" folder.

My reason for asking is because i am having a hell of a time making nee parts because the old one gets destroyed in the list/library.
Another problem is that the component editor seems useless.
Take for an eXplcit example, the Components/relays/351; the nice picture is incomplete if one wants to use a socket on the PCB.
For almost ALL other parts, the editor shows NOTHING for the 351 only the "coil" is shown and that is rotated WRT picture.

I do not remember how i edited the few parts the program allowed.
I would like to make a relay showing all pads, have them round, a pin # and label associated with
each one, and a scribble in the rectangle center; scribble is 2 representations of arm w/contacts.
Did this in Eagle and in ExpressPCB.
Thanks,
R. Baer

Tomg
Expert

#7 Post by Tomg » 12 Jul 2017, 13:39

This thread might answer some of your questions - http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11533. If you need more help let me know and I'll get back to you as soon as I am able. DipTrace also has a tutorial (Help > DipTrace Tutorial) and I recommend spending 30~45 minutes on it at least every other day until you have become familiar with all of its workings. This may seem like a form of torture, but it will be easier and faster than what you are probably thinking right now.
Tom

steve65

#8 Post by steve65 » 24 Aug 2017, 09:40

"Create four new subfolders inside the C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\DipTrace\My Libraries folder and name them 3D, Components, Patterns and Spice."

Would you be so kind as to expand on this a bit? What goes in the Components folder? And what goes in the Patterns folder? Obviously libraries, but I do not grasp the logic of why multiple libraries and how they are organized.

I'm just getting started with DipTrace and have a few entries in the "Steve pattern" library and the "Steve component" library. These two libraries are in the DipTrace\My Libraries folder. This posting's lead sentence seems to suggest I should have multiple pattern libraries and multiple component libraries. Is that right? And, if so, how are multiple libraries organized? By type of component? By project? By something else? Why not put everything in "Steve pattern" library and "Steve component" library and be done with it?

Thanks.

Steve

Tomg
Expert

#9 Post by Tomg » 24 Aug 2017, 12:13

steve65 wrote:"...What goes in the Components folder?..."
All of my actual component library files ("*.eli").
steve65 wrote:"...what goes in the Patterns folder?..."
All of my actual pattern library files ("*.lib").
steve65 wrote:"...seems to suggest I should have multiple pattern libraries and multiple component libraries. Is that right?..."
You will definitely wind up with multiple component and pattern library files. I just happen to keep those two library file types in separate buckets, but you don't have to. DipTrace lumps both types of library files together in the C:\Program Files\DipTrace\Lib directory. Take a peek and you will see many different library files of both types in there.
steve65 wrote:"... how are multiple libraries organized?..."
You will use the file manager to organize things. The folders mentioned above are merely buckets for the actual library files. They do not affect how the library manager shows the lists you see in the editors. The library manager only needs to know where the actual library files are (you will set that up in the library manager). The library names that show in the editor are only links/pointers to the actual library files and you can organize the names in these lists as you please using the library manager. When you choose one of the library names (link/pointer) in the list, the library manager will show you a list of the patterns/components inside that particular library file.

Creating separate folders (buckets) for the actual library files is what I have done for my own setup to make it easy for me to locate different library types (patterns, components, etc.) when adding or deleting actual library files. This is merely a suggestion and only an example of what is possible for other OCD folks like me. Throwing everything into your "My Libraries" folder is just fine and I would imagine it would probably be the recommended setup if you asked the folks at DipTrace. After all, they lump all of their read-only pattern and component libraries together into one folder, too (C:\Program Files\DipTrace\Lib). Someday I might switch back to a single folder storage location just to get some more DipTrace library file exercise in. It'll be a good workout for what's left of my brain.
Attachments
lm.gif
lm.gif (137.5 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
Tom