Post subject: Pattern Editor: DXF import difficulties
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2016, 10:25 
Expert

Maybe I am doing something wrong here, but so far I have been unable to successfully import an ordinary square shape into the Pattern Editor as a Top Pad. I am however having success importing an ordinary circle as a Top Pad. Included are three examples of the "before and after" along with their import settings. All drawings were created in Geomagic Design and exported in the DXF 2007 format. Both files appear to load and display properly in DipTrace. The fun with the ordinary square shape begins after the Import button has been pressed. Figure 1 shows what happens with a 4mm diameter circle, and figures 2 & 3 show what happens with a 4mm square. Both DXF files (circle.dxf and square.dxf) have been included in a zipped folder named dxf_patterns.zip below...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Pattern Editor: DXF import difficulties
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 04:00 
Technical Support

Thank you for report. I see the problem. We recommend to make the closed shapes in DXF Editor to convert it to pad in DipTrace successfully. You have the rectangle consisting of lines. In this situation you can import it with "Convert to Top Signal". After that do " Convert to Pad" from context menu of shape.

Serg Luts
DipTrace Team

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 11:15 
Expert

sl_sergey wrote:
...We recommend to make the closed shapes in DXF Editor to convert it to pad in DipTrace successfully. You have the rectangle consisting of lines. In this situation you can import it with "Convert to Top Signal". After that do " Convert to Pad" from context menu of shape...

The original drawing was created as a square (polygon/closed figure) in Geomagic Design, so I took a closer look at it and discovered two mysterious and undeletable ordinates after deleting the square. Still using Geomagic Design, I created a new file with the same size square/polygon (without the mysterious ordinates) and exported it as a DXF2007 file. As a precaution, I created an identical drawing (4mm square/polygon/DXF2007) using QCAD. (Both DXF files are included in a zipped folder named DXF_square.zip below.) I then ran the following experiments in DipTrace Beta 2.9.0.1...

Experiment #1
The Geomagic Design DXF file was imported into DipTrace as "Top Signal".
Observations
The result was a single vertical line from the left side of the square. See figure 1.

Experiment #2
The QCAD DXF file was imported into DipTrace as "Top Signal".
Observations
The result was a single horizontal line from the bottom of the square. See figure 2.

Experiment #3
The Geomagic Design DXF file was imported into DipTrace as "Top Pads".
Observations
The result was an unfilled square. See figure 3. (Using "Fill Closed Areas" did not change this result.)

Experiment #4
The QCAD DXF file was imported into DipTrace as "Top Pads".
Observations
The result was an unfilled square. See figure 3. (Using "Fill Closed Areas" did not change this result.)

Experiment #5
Experiments 1 through 4 were repeated using all available DXF file formats from both drawing programs.
Observations
The results were identical.

Experiment #6
Experiments 1 through 4 were repeated in DipTrace 2.4.0.2.
Observations
At first, the results for experiments 1 and 2 yielded unfilled squares. After closing and then reopening DipTrace 2.4.0.2, the results were identical to those seen while using DipTrace 2.9.0.1.

Questions
1) Why is it necessary to import a square as a "Top Signal", as opposed to being able to import a circle directly as a "Top Pad"?
2) Why does the drawing appear normal before the Import button is pressed?
3) Why are the results sometimes inconsistent?
4) Is something in the DipTrace DXF import tool not being reset before the next import or DipTrace session?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 23:08 
Expert

Hey Tom,

EDIT: -- 19 Jan 2016, 23:13 --

sl_sergey wrote:
You have the rectangle consisting of lines. In this situation you can import it with "Convert to Top Signal". After that do " Convert to Pad" from context menu of shape.

So, I figured out what sergey was saying to do here. When you import that square.dfx it has to be imported to the 'Top Signal' layer. Apparently, if you don't it gets imported in as 4 individual pads (double click on the Layer to bring up the Objects window and you'll see 4 pads).

Anyway, doing this will import it into Diptrace as a filled square 'shape' but not quite a 'pad' yet. To get it to become a pad you have to select the 'shape' by either left clicking and dragging over the entire square shape OR just hover the mouse pointer over any one of the square's corners. Then right click on the selected corner to bring up the context menu. From there select 'Convert to Pad' and that should do it. (took me a while to figure the convert to pad thing out since it's sorta hidden....)

Well, anyway thanks for bringing this up... I learned something & I hope this helps.

Oh, BTW, I'd post better pics like yours but I don't know how you do that ;) Oh, and I can only post 3 pics with any message :(

Hey sergey, you should post pics like Tom's... you know they say a pic is worth a 'thousand words'. Well yeah, but Tom's pics... maybe a couple thousand :) I think you should hire this guy!

Jeff

-- 19 Jan 2016, 23:39 --

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016, 09:36 
Technical Support

Tomg wrote:
Questions
1) Why is it necessary to import a square as a "Top Signal", as opposed to being able to import a circle directly as a "Top Pad"?
2) Why does the drawing appear normal before the Import button is pressed?
3) Why are the results sometimes inconsistent?
4) Is something in the DipTrace DXF import tool not being reset before the next import or DipTrace session?

1) I have opened your "square_GMD2007.dxf and square_QCAD2007.dxf" files in Draft Sight program and see the rectangle consist from lines.
I have created similar rectangle in Draft Sight program and exported to DXF 2007-2009ASCII Drawing (the file is attached).
After that I have imported the DXF to DipTrace ( as "Top Pads", "Fill Closed Areas")
The result was the single pad.
BTW, Draft Sight converts a rectangle shape to polyline. DipTrace reads the polyline (no rectangle) while importing DXF.
I think a problem is in your dxf files. Try to use polyline in your softwares.

2) and 3) I have tried to do your Experiment #1 and Experiment #2. The result was four lines.
I used 2.4.0.2 and 2.9.0.1b versions

4) As I understand you say about the feature Import Mode ( is in DipTrace DXF import window).
Add - will add a content into current design
New - will create new design

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016, 17:19 
Expert

Hi Jeff & Serg,

Sorry for the delayed reponse, but I was side-tracked by other tasks. First, let me thank you both for taking the time to respond. Jeff, I was aware of and have used the settings suggested by Serg, although sometimes I do find myself running around in circles when trying to diagnose a problem. Serg, thank you for the test DXF file. It works as promised when importing as "Top Pads/Fill Closed Areas", but when importing as "Top Signal/Fill Closed Areas" I still get the "one-line" result as shown in figure 1 below.

My next project will be trying to find a way to create a DXF file with closed polyline figures.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016, 18:41 
Expert

Tomg wrote:
My next project will be trying to find a way to create a DXF file with closed polyline figures.

Hey Tom,

I used LibreCAD (latest version) to create a square using polyline, snapped to a grid and closed the square and saved it as DFX 2007 format. I imported it into Diptrace as a 'Top Pad', filled and it imported directly to a pad for me. I've attached the .zip file. I'm curious if it works for you too....

Jeff

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016, 20:01 
Expert

Hi Jeff,

Your file yielded identical results for both DipTrace 2.4.0.2 and DipTrace beta 2.9.0.1, as shown in figures 1 & 2 below...

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016, 23:59 
Expert

Huh, 5 lines... that's odd??

Hmmm... I wondered if it may have something to do with the grid resolution in LibreCAD. I used 'auto' and it's quite high (not sure exactly what their 'auto' resolution is at this time.).

So I decided to try it again with a fixed 1mm grid resolution as I'm beginning to suspect maybe resolution issues here...

You might try this one if you have the time and see if it is better. I was able to import it into Diptrace to the signal layer as filled shape. Of course, I then had to 'convert it to a pad'.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2016, 08:16 
Expert

Using your 10mm square, the conversion to Top Pads is the same (see figure 1). Notice what happens during a conversion to Top Signal (see figure 2). This result, and results from some of my previous off-line experiments, lead me to conclude that there is something happening in DipTrace's DXF import tool whenever the magic number 34 comes into play. A square smaller than 34mm yields a single line (figure 2). A square 34mm or larger yields an empty square. By the way, my 34mm square results in an empty square made up of four lines, but my 33mm square results in a single line just like your 10mm square (figure 2).

I posted a concern about a mysterious "0.034mm" pass/fail threshhold (notice the magic number 34) for a PCB Top Mask DXF import a short while ago here - http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10842.

I think DipTrace's DXF import tool is broken and needs to be fixed.