Post subject: New Pattern - Which Layer?
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2015, 02:36 

Hi All

I have some limited experience in Diptrace. I'm still on a very steep learning curve. I now have the need to create a new pattern/component (for the very first time). It is a fuse in a "European" TR5 package. 370 Series. I can't find it in any of the libraries.

http://au.element14.com/littelfuse/37001000430/fuse-quick-blow-tr5-100ma/dp/9515895?ost=37001000430&selectedCategoryId=

I was going to attach the datasheet but this forum wouldn't let me upload a PDF saying that this file extension is not allowed.

Anyway, my questions are;

When I create the part what layer/s do I nominate for the pattern??? This is a through hole component so I would think it is only meant to be the bottom layer, but I am confused as to what is the correct approach to ensure that the pattern works correctly with the auto-router etc. Most of the patterns I have looked at seem to be based around the top layer. What is the correct approach???

This is a simple part so I should be able to create the pattern and 3D profile. Once done how do I "share" this pattern with others? Is there a location on the Diptrace forum to post patterns?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: New Pattern - Which Layer?
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2015, 17:17 
Expert

Typically, through-hole patterns are created on the top layer in the Pattern Editor. When you're ready to place the component onto your PCB in the PCB Layout editor, just plunk it down on the top layer. Since it's a through-hole component, routing can be done on any layer as long as the part's case does not electrically interfere with any of the traces. If you need it to be on the bottom layer, right-click on the component and select Change Side in the pop-up menu. Libraries can be shared in the Shared Libraries forum. 3D models can be shared in the Shared 3D models forum.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2015, 08:25 

Hello Tomg

Thanks for your reply. With regards to the layer question, your answer makes complete sense. I'm not sure why I didn't think of it in that way.

I'm now researching the best way to obtain and/or design 3D models. I have a few more questions if you don't mind.

Firstly, I gather you can't use Diptrace to design 3D models?

Secondly, what is considered be the best low cost 3D CAD software? I might have to invest in a decent 3D softwae.

Thirdly, I recently read a (Diptrace) post about a site with a link to a 3D software. All good. I downloaded a 3D model but Diptrice didn't recogniser the file format. The site is 3D Content Cenral. Can Diptrace import files from this site?

Thanks.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2015, 10:17 
Expert

darb wrote:
...I gather you can't use Diptrace to design 3D models?
No.
darb wrote:
...what is considered be the best low cost 3D CAD software?
It's tough to find a good, affordable 3D Cad package. I bought into Alibre Design a few years back when it was somewhat affordable. Even then it was a serious expenditure for the hobbyist. They have since been bought out by 3D Systems (Alibre Design was renamed Geomagic Design) and the price increased substantially. Now 3D Systems appears to be having problems, according to all of the talk on their forums about the recent departure of their CEO, rumors of future layoffs and a concerning decline in their stock price. If you find a 3D CAD package that appeals to you, take it for a test drive before buying. Make sure it can import and export STEP214 (STEP file format with color) typically with the filename extension *.stp. Another format that can be imported by DipTrace is VRML-2 (typically with the filename extension *.wrl), but it is not the recommended industry standard like STEP214. One free 3D program you might want to try is called FreeCad (http://freecadweb.org). I didn't have any luck with it, myself, because I didn't take the time to really dive into it and figure it out.
darb wrote:
...I downloaded a 3D model but Diptrice didn't recogniser the file format. The site is 3D Content Cenral. Can Diptrace import files from this site?
Yes. If you export the STEP file (*.stp) version then DipTrace should be able to import it.

-- 17 Nov 2015, 11:50 --

Here's my latest Littelfuse TR5 3D model (see compressed folder named TR5.zip below). Let me know if you need any changes made to it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Tomg on 19 Nov 2015, 15:49, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2015, 07:43 

Hello Tom

Thanks very much for all of your feedback and advice. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I will take a look at Free Cad. I really like the 3D view of my creation in diptrace. It really helps to see the final layout prior to production, and it also looks rather awesome.

I haven't had the chance to download the model you so kindly created but I will do so over the next few days.

Thanks again Tom.

Regards
Brad