Post subject: Pattern Properties "Template" Question
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2015, 18:18 

Could someone explain exactly how the "Template" pull down at the top of Pattern Properties works? If I specify a template in for that pattern, does that mean when pattern in the template changes that part using that template also changes? That seems to make sense to me, but I'm not sure if/how changes get propagated.

My other question is that every time I click open the pattern library, I get this warning:

"Attention! changing this library causes change of program settings"

What does that mean? What program settings get changed?

I'm trying to clean up all of my libraries and I only want to do this once, so I'd love to know how to use this feature the right way.

Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: Pattern Properties "Template" Question
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2015, 10:49 
Expert

Well, John, I was waiting to see if anyone that had more info/experience with Templates would answer you, but since no one has, here's what I 'know'.

john coloccia wrote:
My other question is that every time I click open the pattern library, I get this warning:

"Attention! changing this library causes change of program settings"

What does that mean? What program settings get changed?

First off, as far as I can tell, this 'warning' simply means that if/when you select 'Library/Save as Template' that this change 'sticks' in the Pattern Properties, Template pull down box. It simply replaces the previous Template file available to use there. Then next time you close and reopen the Pattern editor, you will see the most current 'Library/Save as Template' action listed there. You can then replace this template with some other Template file (any of your libraries can be specified as the 'template file').

john coloccia wrote:
Could someone explain exactly how the "Template" pull down at the top of Pattern Properties works? If I specify a template in for that pattern, does that mean when pattern in the template changes that part using that template also changes? That seems to make sense to me, but I'm not sure if/how changes get propagated.

I'm fairly sure (but not %100) that the Template file (which can be any library of your choosing) is only used as a convenient method of quickly creating a new library entry in a new library that you are building. It's only a one-way copy. If you edit the contents if the template file and save it, that change will not get propagated to any other library files that were previously created using this template. You would have to go back and re-open any libraries that were made from this template and manually replace any patterns with the newly edited pattern in the template file.

Now, like I said, I'm not %100 sure about this because of the very 'sparse' help files, but this has been my experience. So take this with a grain of salt and test for yourself to confirm or correct my comments.

hth

jeff

Post subject: Re: Pattern Properties "Template" Question
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2015, 23:31 

Thanks for the response, Jeff. In the end, I decided to simply not use the feature. It's just too confusing to have to keep re-updating things, forgetting what's updated and what's not, etc.