Post subject: Footprint with a trace
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 19:02 

Hi,

I just made a foot print for a spade terminal that has two mounting holes but
the spade is one piece of metal. I started by placing a 2 pad pad line and then
sized the holes and copper to the correct size. After I did that I tried to place a
trace between the two pads, being that they will be connected once the spade
terminal is inserted, but I could not figure out to connect the two pads with a trace
as part of the footprint. Could anyone give me some guidance on how to do this?

Thanks,
Dave

Post subject: Re: Footprint with a trace
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 21:56 

You can't.

But you can make your life easier.

1. in the pattern editor, you might like to optionally add a note to one of the Assembly (Assy) layers to remind you

2. in the component editor, when you assign the pattern to the component, in the pattern attachment dialog, in area showing the pattern, you can click and drag a ratline between the "internally connected" pads - this will cause the PCB to have a ratline between those pads

3. having done 2, you can draw a trace segment between those pads to connect them (and get rid of the ratline), and then you can right click the segment, and choose "Top Jumper Wire" or "Bottom Jumper Wire" as appropriate for the Segment Layer, this will cause the segment to not-exist on the board, note that if it's a surface pad, you should choose "Top Jumper Wire" if the pad is on the top, and "Bottom Jumper Wire" if the pad is on the bottom, otherwise you'll get drill holes there to go to the other side :-)

Also you can change the color/display of the jumper segments by "View > Jumper Wires" menu where you can choose to show them as silk, assembly, signal, or not at all.