Post subject: Parts reference position and hole alignment.
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2015, 18:25 

Hi all. I'm not sure about all the right termsfor things but I'll try to get my question across so it can be understood.

Regarding component creation; what, other than defining origin, determines where and how RefDes and other markings appears next to a component when it is inserted into a schematic Some components I have made when applied to a schematic have the markings either in the wrong place, touching the component or not where I would have put it if I'd had the option. I know some information can be moved around using F10 but this is not completely configurable either, meaning I often have to mess about with right-click properties, marking positions and other options in order to get the markings where I want them and even then I can't get everything sitting and orientated where I want it displayed. For example, I've created an amplifier component with 5 pins but I cannot get the pin numbers to show in the right orientation - pins on the top and bottom always have the numbers at 90degrees to where I want them and though I can move them with F10 I cannot rotate them to view them the way I want to.

Another related question (that I don't think warrants a new topic) is pad creation, placement and orientation in the footprint/pattern editor. The pad options are already very well thought-out and comprehensive but I have a situation where I have found a limitation with them and thus cannot position pads exactly how I want them. I'll attempt to describe what I mean.

I have made a 9-pin valve component (for 12A series valves) in the component designer and am wanting to make a corresponding footprint/pattern for the sockets I have purchased for the project. It is one of the more complicated patterns to do with tricky angles and pad spacing to be worked out but a decent datasheet for the sockets made things a lot easier. The pins coming out of the socket are gold rectangular pins 0.5mm thick, 2.75mm wide and 8mm long. The only pads I can create that will accommodate these pins are through holes at 3mm diameter with 2.8mm holes. I can make the outside polygonal, or even oblong or rectangular but I can't make them any bigger without fouling each other. Either way it leaves very little pad left with which to solder onto. I can of course make the 'holes' rectangular using the pad properties dialogue, giving me much tighter and physically stronger fit and more solder area but no matter how much I mess around with it, the rectangle runs the wrong way to accept the pins on the socket, which are shaped in a circle to match the valve pins themselves. If you refer to the attached image you can see how the socket's pins are aligned and there is no way I can find to align the pattern's pads to suit their position, meaning I am stuck with large holes and very little solder area. If I could rotate freely the pads once I'd selected the rectangular hole this would be perfect as I could align the holes with the pins no problems

It could well be I am not using the software properly, but I've looked around and clicked on everything I can find in order to try and do these tasks and if I cannot do it, this would be a good feature request. I make all my own components as some of the 'factory' designs are not suitable for what I want).

Attachment:
sk01b.jpg
Attachment:
pattern.PNG

Any ideas?

Thanks, Dave.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave.

Post subject: Re: Parts reference position and hole alignment.
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2015, 19:53 
Expert

First thing, forget asking for rotation of pads; Novarm doesn't seem to think that anyone would ever want to do this, rotation in general seems to be verboten, period. Search on "rotation" of anything...

Second, I'd pass on the sockets designed for wire soldering and go with one that is designed for soldering into a PCB (that's what I do). Here's a link, though other places have them as well...

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-ST9-214

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2015, 03:09 

I'm interested in this as well. It's hard to imagine that this is not possible as it's such a basic function.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2015, 13:49 
Technical Support

Pads can't be rotated in Pattern editor. We discussed this function today and decided this need to be implemented in future. But for this particular socket, I don't understand why do you use the socket that is not intended to be used on PCB? This socket is for panel mount, wires should be soldered to contacts. If you could use PCB socket instead this one you wouldn't have the problem with pad rotation because it wouldn't be neseccary.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2015, 17:04 

A lot of the PCB mount ones are the same...flat pins. They're usually spaced a bit better so round holes may physically work, but it's much stronger and better if the hole fits well. Thanks for considering this feature, Alex.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2015, 20:27 

Thanks for your replies and it is good to know it might be a future feature in DipTrace.

As I said in my original post, this is not my socket but a picture of one similar to the sockets I use and besides, many of the PCB style valve sockets do have spade terminals, so my point remains valid. And yes I know there are different sockets available to purchase, but I happen to have dozens of PCB mounting valve sockets with spade terminals that were given to me a while ago and I'd like to use them rather than chuck them away or have to buy new ones just because the software can't do a rotated pad to accommodate them. Almost every other program I tried before settling for DipTrace had this ability so I don't see it as an unusual or particularly outrageous thing to ask for.

Dave.