Post subject: X,Y component placement from a TXT file
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2014, 19:50 

Afternoon,

I start a my layout in Solidworks and place components in fixed locations due to mechanical/optical constrains. I then create a dxf file with the board profile (cutouts, holes, etc.) and keep in/out layers for routing.

I am also able to extract the X, Y and Z coordinates of components to a text file, relative to 0,0, in millimeters.

Question:

1) Is there a way to cross-reference the text file in the schematic capture to the components?
3) Is there a way to place components in PCB using x,y coordinates from text file reference in schematic capture?

It seem possible to do this, since I now manually place components, one at a time, by typing in the X, Y coordinates.

This is something I do for every board we make... The board shape, components and counts are different, but not the process; using an X, Y coordinate file, table or list to place components will save time, effort, and prevent mistakes, since all the work and verification was done in the Solidworks file.

Thank you again,

Victor M Sardinas
Stacosystems, Inc.

Post subject: Re: X,Y component placement from a TXT file
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2014, 09:38 
Technical Support

There is no way to place components in PCB by coordinates from a text file. You should enter coordinates manually, one at a time. But if few components should be placed in line you can select them at once and enter X or Y coordinate on properties tab on top right corner.

We will consider importing text file with X, Y coordinates in future.

Post subject: Re: X,Y component placement from a TXT file
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2014, 11:36 

Thank you again for your time and effort.

Being able to import X, Y coordinates from a text or Excel file would be a time saver for those of us whom have to place components in fixed locations, due to mechanical or optical constrains.

This would make a great addition to an already good program. Please keep me advised.

Regards,

Victor M Sardinas